Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am about to become a whitetail deer hunter here in Wisconsin. I have never hunted before, and I am 55. I am interested in st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am about to become a whitetail deer hunter here in Wisconsin. I have never hunted before, and I am 55. I am interested in st

I am about to become a whitetail deer hunter here in Wisconsin. I have never hunted before, and I am 55. I am interested in still hunting or simply put hunting while quietly creeping around-no tree stands. What advice can I be given, as to what rifle would be best suited to this type of hunting. I am probably looking at used rifle, costwise. I target shoot, and am a gunsmith student, so I have a working knowledge of firearms, just decided earlier this month to start hunting deer since one plowed into the side of truck on the way home from work! It cost me a $100 deductable, and my insurance estimate came in at $4100! So I think it is time to help thin the herd. In the past I always said I would leave them alone if they left me alone. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

I like the Winchester 30-30 for still hunting. It's fast to shoulder and at 5.5 lbs, much lighter than most rifles. Easy on the wallet as well.

Comment

A Marlin in 30/30 or 35Rem is a good start with the
      Marlin coms Pre drilled for a scope if needed or Pep sight(my Pick) Thay cost a lot less the old Winchester 94s
      and a scope mounts on thr barrel not on the reciver
      the newer ones cost for a lot more money.

Marlin Mod 336 or Mod 30 or Mod 1894!

Comment

ya u guys have a ton of deer over there. check out if the hunting cloths u buy are noisy when you move or not. walk slowly to make less noise. step on the ball of your heal then gently bring down your toes--it really works great for me, i hardly make a sound when walking over dried leaves be doing that.

Comment

I'm a Wisconsin hunter,too. I find that no matter how much land you have, you can never still hunt over here. I suggest find a feeding, bedding, travel corridor to set up at. GOOD LUCK

Comment

270; those work great utherwise a 30-30 are also a great gun

Comment

Thin the herd...? I think our numbers in Wisconsin are just about the lowest they've been in several years. =) On other note, sorry to hear about the accident!

For the rifle, you can't go wrong with a lever-action .30-30 They're reasonably priced especially if you purchase a used one. Not sure where in Wisconsin you are, but there's a good size gun show this weekend in Oshkosh at the Sunnyview Expo Center.

Comment

Southwest central WI has a very high population of deer where as many northern areas have low deer numbers. So hunt where the most deer are, in my area we are issued unlimited tags for antler-less. Nearly all of my deer are shot while I am up and moving both during archery and gun seasons. My favorite gun is Ruger .308 Frontier Rifle this was designed for the moving hunter. Unfortunately very few hunters hunt this way any more so Ruger discontinued them. You will need to find a used one.
                later,
                charlie

Comment

Thanks for all the great info and answers, yes I am in southcentral (Green County) Wisconsin. We have a gunshow in Juda this coming Sunday, so I will make a wishlist and go shopping!

Comment

Almost any caliber of 243 or larger will stop a Whitetail with a well placed shot. However from an economic view point. It would be hard to beat a Marlin 336 lever action in 30-30 Winchester caliber. These rifles will take deer easily out to 200 yards and a nice used one can be purchased for around $250-$300. Also a new box of Remington 170gr Core-Lokt ammo is still around $15.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget