Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking about doing a week long canoe/hunting trip down a river in the adirondack mountains of NY. I am thinking of a mid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking about doing a week long canoe/hunting trip down a river in the adirondack mountains of NY. I am thinking of a mid

I am thinking about doing a week long canoe/hunting trip down a river in the adirondack mountains of NY. I am thinking of a mid November time frame and was looking for some insight from someone who has done this before. I was wondering what items would I need to bring with me for a week spent in the wilderness?

What river and whereabouts? I live in Central New York State and have backpacked the Adirondacks. I would bring a four season tent, snow can be falling at that time of year. Gets cold up there too - low-temp sleeping bag, a good/warm sleeping mat, warm clothes and a change of warm clothes, waterproof boots and clothes. A stove that uses white gas/Coleman Fuel such as an MSR Whisperlite or you can use a propane stove. I wouldn't count on making a fire to cook food. High energy food for hot meals and snacking. Map of the area and compass. You'll be in a canoe, so I don't know how much weight factors in on what you need and what you want to bring. Check a map to be sure you don't have to portage your canoe, because portaging your canoe and having to move your gear too can be bothersome. I wouldn't rely heavily on electronics- a GPS should work, but I don't know what the cell phone coverage is like up there.
    I don't know what you will be hunting - deer, bear or small game-, but figure out if the game is going to fit in your canoe and how you are going to get it out after you shoot it.
    A few other thoughts- hunting license, first aid kit, space blanket, survival kit, cooking utensils, rope, water filter, extra ammo, backpack, research the area you'll be in - the Adirondacks are a wilderness. Probably a few things I overlooked, but what I wrote is good starting point.

Comment

Hey Johnnie,Were in C-NY. I use to live in C-NY
      North east Hilldale R22 and R23.

You left out TP and strano cans and stove are liter to cook over or MREs (if it were me I would ST.Regous lake)

Comment

File a trip plan with someone back home....just a blueprint for your trip so if you encounter problems or delays..... there is an traceable route that illustrates your path of travel

Comment

Hi Treestand! I live in the Town of Lee, six miles north of Rome, N.Y.. Yikes I forgot T.P.! Can't forget that! Be careful using that in the woods, somebody might mistake the white for a flickertail! I suggest camo T.P. or another color besides white.:-) Sterno is a good one, besides cooking, a fire can be started with it too- take the can out after the fire is lit. MRE's are handy to have. I was going to add more to the list, but was afraid I was going to end up writing a book :-)
          ----------------------------------------
          the decoy hunter makes a good point. Make a trip plan. A trip plan states where you start: date, time and location, your course of travel, and where you finish: date, time, and location. A trip plan can also include if you are going to call somebody when you get out or when you will arrive home. If you don't show up when you are suppose to at the end of your trip, if you get hurt or are in trouble along the route, Search and Rescue will have an easier time finding you. Plus it gives loved ones peace of mind. Leave a copy of your map with your route with a family member or friend. Sign in at trailheads, that will leave proof you have been there. Going alone can be fun, I've done it, but be careful you don't get hurt. Don't take chances. If, you are going to be out for a week and you get hurt the second day out, people aren't expecting you back for another five days and that is a long time to be hurt in the woods without help, especially in cold weather.
          Something else to consider in the future, if possible, is going on a summertime trip. Give your hunting trip a dry run. That way you have an idea of the landscape, what you need to bring versus what you want to bring, and the weather is good for traveling.
          If, you have room, a camera would be nice to bring along.
          Let us know how you make out on your adventure! Good hunting to you!
          Just to give you an idea on how bad the Adirondacks can get in winter months, people who are going to climb K2 or Mt. Everest will practice climbing the Adirondacks' high peaks. Trivia: Mt. Marcy is the highest peak in the Adirondacks at 5,343 feet. Originally the mountain was named Tawahus, an Indian name that means "the cloud splitter".

Comment

Thanks guys. I live in NY and have a camp in the adirondacks so I know what the weather and terrain is like. I just haven't done a week long adventure like this. I was planning on doing the canoe trip in the summer to scout and determine where to camp out. I am thinking of the 5 pond area just south of Cranberry Lake. Anybody been thru there?

Comment

Treestand where is the St Regis Lake located? Is this the St Regis River? Would you put in near Santa Clara and head south? Where would you take out?

Comment

andyw, look on a map its ben 27yr ago that I hunted St Regis lake, there is St Regis collage near by if that helps, safe hunting good luck
                GO JETS

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                  by dewman
                  So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                  Today, 10:12 PM
                • Now That's Service
                  by jhjimbo
                  Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                  Today, 07:57 PM
                • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                  by fitch270
                  ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                  Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                • Covid-19
                  by jhjimbo
                  Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                  09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                • Spur of the moment rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                  09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X