Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please explain survival tip 4 "directions by a watch"from your 5 survival tips gift pamplet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please explain survival tip 4 "directions by a watch"from your 5 survival tips gift pamplet...

please explain survival tip 4 "directions by a watch"from your 5 survival tips gift pamplet...

As for my self a compass is very lite to carry
    or get a Casio Pathfinder Watch it has a night-bright back light,Digital compass,Altimeter,
    Barometer,tells time,day,date all in one at Wal-Mart. good luck

Comment

You point the hour hand at the sun, I use a small twig or stick and let the shadow fall across my watch. If the shadow covers the hour hand all of the way to the center point, you are doing it right.
      If daylight savings time is on, due south is directly between the hour hand and the one. If there is no daylight savings time, due south is directly between the hour hand and the twelve.
      If you are south of the equator, those numbers will give you north. Hope that helps.
      I am not trusting of any battery operated device when I go into the wilds. In my experience, when something bad happens and your really need that device, my old nemesis Mr. Murphy will show up and drain the batteries or otherwise render the piece of equipment inoperable. I use an automatic watch, what some people call self winding, and have for more than twenty years. I am too old to start changing now.

Comment

Hey Bo,
        I like your salf feel the same, The casio pathfinder is Solar Powered with Atomic Accuracy
        I have mine for 5yr keeps on ticken

Comment

i have no clue what u r talking about, but if it’s trying to find where N,E, South or west, it’s easy. The sun RISES in the east and SETS in the west, it’s at the HIGEST in the sky at 12:00PM ( u don’t need a watch to know if it is 12PM) I don’t know y u would need to do that trick with your watch and trying to remember it.

Comment

MNwhitetailHunter, eventually anyone who spends anytime out in the wilds will get confused about directions. If you only hunt places that you know very well, it is not a problem, because you can use landmarks to tell you which direction is which. For those of us who venture forth to other areas, knowing direction can be a critical factor in whether or not you are alive at the end of day.
            I carry a compass; the one time in the last 25 years that I did not, I needed it. Because I got confused in which direction is which, I walked much further than I really needed to.
            For those who say they never get confused about direction, I have been out with friends who said that; it is amazing how many tried to tell me that my compass was wrong and so was my watch when it agreed with my compass... It is very easy to get turned around.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
              by dewman
              Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
              Yesterday, 08:40 AM
            • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
              by dewman
              Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
              Yesterday, 07:59 AM
            • What is taking so long ?
              by jhjimbo
              Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
              09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
            • Burn cream
              by CD2
              Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
              No longer does.
              Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
              Bargain.

Got...
              09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
            • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
              by dewman
              So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
              09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X