Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best deer rifle for my 10 year old sistetr ,height of about 4,3. she says her 410,22 single shot mix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best deer rifle for my 10 year old sistetr ,height of about 4,3. she says her 410,22 single shot mix.

what is the best deer rifle for my 10 year old sistetr ,height of about 4,3. she says her 410,22 single shot mix.

First thing you need to do is check what is legal in your state. In Oklahoma, the last time I checked, for rifle, you had to use a center-fire cartridge of at least .22 cal and weighing 55 gr. for shotgun, it had to be at least 20 gauge. Some states do not allow any of the .22 calibers and you must start at .24 cal.
    That being said, any rifle that meets those criteria would work. A .243 is an excellent starter rifle. My daughter used an SKS in 7.62 x39 and was able to shoot it without any problems with recoil, she liked that one more than she did the .243. There is also the .223 but most of those that I have seen are on an AR platform and that can quickly lead to some serious coin.
    If it is legal and she can shoot it accurately without developing a flinch, that is the one that is best for for her, IMO.

Comment

Bo beat me to it but I would suggest a .243--light recoil but powerful enough for deer. Get her a junior mdel with a smaller stock. The .22 is not a good choice--as Bo pointed out, it's illegal to hunt deer with a .22 in many states. Also, it's not a good choice for a quick and sure kill. You're more likely to just wound the deer and not kill it, or to have it take so long to die that you never find it. The .22/410 combo is fine for her to learn with, but she should get a bigger gun before hunting.

Comment

This is certainly not meant to be an ugly remark, but unless a youngster is able and willing to handle a gun of sufficient caliber to ethically, efficiently and legally kill a deer, he/she is not yet old enough to hunt deer. Bo and seadog covered the caliber thing well.

Comment

pineywoods, you are correct. I gave you a +, but it seems that someone disagreed with you and took it off. I will for the record state that I agree with you. If a hunter cannot use the proper gun with which to hunt, they have no business hunting. It is neither legal or ethical. They also deserve to be caught and suffer the consequences for their transgression.
          I believe we have a responsibility to mentor the next generation of hunters; for them to be legal, ethical hunters. It is sad when people want to cut the corners, for convenience or whatever other excuse they would offer.
          As hunters, our first obligation is to treat the animal with respect, inside the legal and ethical boundaries associated with hunting. To depart from that demonstrates that one is no different than anyone else who would ignore the law. We have an obligation to be good stewards and examples to everyone else. We never know who might be watching and learning as they watch us.

Comment

IMO~~ If its leagel in your state a 223Rem with a 60gr pill in a singel shot rifle,H&R makes on with
            25 calibers with a scope youth Model

GOOD LUCK

Comment

For my daughter's first deer hunt, I got her a .257 Roberts on a left-handed 700 action for which I worked up some lighter handloads using 100-gr. Triple Shocks and H4895. It is a very light kicking load and plenty enough for deer.

Comment

Thanks, Bo. You stated my point much more eloquently than I did.

Comment

.243 rem

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                    by Scott123
                    Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                    Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                  • Blade Stain
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                    Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                  • Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X