Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the opportunity to borrow a friend's ground blind for the upcoming deer hunting season. I'll be hunting public land and I'm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the opportunity to borrow a friend's ground blind for the upcoming deer hunting season. I'll be hunting public land and I'm

Got the opportunity to borrow a friend's ground blind for the upcoming deer hunting season. I'll be hunting public land and I'm wondering if it's mandatory that the blind be placed in the area I want it ahead of time? Am I going to spook any deer from coming into my area with a new blind in the area? I don't want to run the risk of my blind being vandalized or stolen so I really don't even want to pack it in the night before. It's a small portable blind for 1-person.

You should always place a blind early and brush it in when hunting deer. Deer are very aware of their surroundings, and the slightest change will make them nervous. Turkeys on the other hand, will not shy away from a blind erected minutes previously.

Comment

however, if it is just a small blind it might not matter. with white tails its hard to say.

Comment

I killed deer from a blind that I just put up last December, I have killed deer who were watching me take down my blind. I think it depends on the deer. Some are more aware of their surroundings, some may be just passing through. Sometimes it's just a matter of tossing a coin and choosing heads or tails.

Comment

Thanks a lot, you guys. Judging from the bit of reading I've done online - it does sound like it's a toss up. I'm going to try and get out there bright 'n early the same day I hunt and brush it in as best as I possibly can.

Comment

It sounds like you chose well. Even though there's an advantage to setting up early so the deer get used to your blind, on public land, IMHO, the risk that someone will steal your portable ground blind changes the game. It's ... unfortunate ...(I could use a stronger word), but that's the sad truth. Happy hunting!

Comment

I use pop up blinds and I also build ground blinds out of downed limbs, cedar boughs and even frame a plastic roof out of tomato stakes. These look natural, keep the rain out and not many would bother to steal or tear em down.

Comment

I generally just try to blend in with natural surroundings,I'VE USED camo netting when hunting with a youth.Even if youre lucky and no one steals youre blind,youre telling other hunters you are in a scouted position ,some will set up near you. Be pliable and be able to adjust to wind change and other variables. good luck

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bedding on new rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                  Today, 12:22 AM
                • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                  by fitch270
                  Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                  Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                  by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                  09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
                • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                  by dewman
                  Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                  09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
                • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                  by dewman
                  Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                  09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X