Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can deer smell the difference between human urine and there own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can deer smell the difference between human urine and there own?

Can deer smell the difference between human urine and there own?

I dont believe so as long as your diet doesnt contain large amounts of strong smelling foods like garlic,curry ect.I know a few archers that urinate on their deer decoys for cover scent.

Comment

this might sound weird. u could piss in a bottle that has a cap, but i dont know if the smell still gets out. At least walk a good distance from where your stand is. rain keeps your sent down so it might be possible that going in a body of water (creek, pond, puddle..ect) will keep it down. Its yoru risk.

Comment

Good question for a biologist. I've always assumed that, under normal circumstances, urine is urine. I've relieved myself at the base of my deer stand and killed deer from that location within hours. I doubt that deer could determine human urine from other species. The combination of urine with gland secretions is a whole other story.

Comment

I think they can probably smell the difference, but deer have not come to associate human urine with danger. Just my opinion.

Comment

you might know wolves and other predators use large amounts of urine to warn off and to tell others this is their turff, so a lot might scare them (just a thought). but with a lot of animals around they might not know its human.

Comment

I can't believe there isn't at least one smart aleck with a funny response to this question. I need a good laugh and this one begs for a good joke.

Comment

heard many pro-cons from old timers, some who even add to a scrape.The two keys to this would be as "mesarich" stated, association of danger, and personal diet. if 9 deer are ok with you wetting your stand, so be it. Number ten may make the connection, and be the boomer you've been waiting for. The other is, deer don't drink beer, etc., so long/short, i believe if you have a way to contain urine, why take the chance? Think like the predator you are.

Comment

yes they can tell the difference. SO if you gotta go while in the field dig a little hole, piss in it, and cover it back up

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                  • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                    by Ernie
                    I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                    hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                    10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X