Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently purchased a Colt King Cobra 357 magnum and want to know a good load for whitetail deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treestand
    replied
    IMHO~~ You asked the same Question on F&S and recived the same answers, The 357Mag in 6"hand gun
    is Border line for WT/Deer even out of a rifle.
    357Mag 18" barrel M/fps-1850-50yds,fps 1632
    M/Lbs-1064-50yds,lbs 828 ???
    IMHO~~trade off that Colt and buy a deer gun.

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    I am going to chime in here, I do not consider the .357 to be adequate for deer. I know that many people have allegedly killed deer with it, but IMO the ballistics on the weapon is woefully inadequate for a deer sized animal.
    For a Hornady 158 grain XTP the numbers for the Velocity and energy at Muzzle, 50 and 100 yards are as follows: Muzzle 1250/548,50 yds-1150/464, and 100 yds-1073/404. In my mind, that is dangerously inadequate and irresponsible to consider using that as a primary hunting cartridge. I don't believe using a round with less than 500 ft/lbs when it hits the target is ethical. But that is just me. I think that using a sub performance round is a very good way to lose the animal. It becomes all ego and takes no thought for why we hunt...
    If you want to hunt with a handgun, go with .44 Magnum; for the Hornady 180 grain XTP the numbers are Muzzle-1550/960, 50 yds 1340/717, 100 yds-1173/550; for the Hornady 200 grain XTP the numbers are Muzzle-1500/999, 50 yds-1333/789, 100 yds-1196/635.
    You will have better results and will be less likely to lose your animal.

Leave a comment:

• seadog
    replied
    I'll be honest--there are a lot of guys that know a lot more about ballistics than I do, but my humble opinion is that a .357 is good for deer only at a short distance--archery range or a little bit longer. No matter what load you use, you'll start losing velocity after 50 yards or so. By 100 yards, you'll have just enough to wound the deer without penetrating the vitals. Set up short & you're good, but don't pretend your .357 is a .308--hunt safe and hunt smart--enjoy your time in the woods--that's what relly counts.

Leave a comment:

• I recently purchased a Colt King Cobra 357 magnum and want to know a good load for whitetail deer

I recently purchased a Colt King Cobra 357 magnum and want to know a good load for whitetail deer

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bedding on new rifle
    by Amflyer
    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
    by fitch270
    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
    Yesterday, 08:57 PM
  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
  • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
    by dewman
    Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
    09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
  • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
    by dewman
    Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
    09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X