Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have read several articles about the importance of moon phases in relation to the rut. The most informative articles that I re

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have read several articles about the importance of moon phases in relation to the rut. The most informative articles that I re

I have read several articles about the importance of moon phases in relation to the rut. The most informative articles that I read discuss the importance of the second full moon after the autumn equinox. This year, 9/22 is the autumn equinox and 9/23 is the full moon, making the full moon in October the second full moon after the autumn equinox. Does this mean the rut schedule is going to be earlier this year than normal?

I dont think so, not by much anyhoot. late october is when I see the chase phase of the rut kick in, year after year. The lock down phase is usually november 8-25. This depends on how far north or south you are, nothern states will have earlier ruts and southern states will have later ruts.

Comment

There might be something to the theory that moon phase affects the rut, but I've never paid much attention to it--I hunt when I can. But I'm not against paying attention to the moon--from my experience, gators are easier to hunt on a new moon--they don't spook as easily when they feel comfortable on a dark night. I'm not as sure about deer, but deer that have gone nocturnal seem to move later into the daylight on dark nights, so a new moon favors an early morning hunter. Of course, that has nothing to do with your question about the rut, but my feeling about that is that if the rut kicks in during the full moon, that's more time for the bucks to do their business at night and less chance that they'll get horny and stupid while you're out hunting during the day. That's just my un-scientific opinion. Happy hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget