Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of food do whitetail deer eat besides acorns? Will they eat wild fruit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of food do whitetail deer eat besides acorns? Will they eat wild fruit?

What kind of food do whitetail deer eat besides acorns? Will they eat wild fruit?

Deer are browsers and will eat a wide variety of vegetation, nuts and fruits. A lot of what they eat depends on where you are. They will eat acorns and pecans, they love crops like soybeans and corn, they will browse on whatever is in season like honeysuckle and ragweed---they meander along taking a nip here and there of this and that. They will graze greens like wheat, oats and clover and enjoy the brassicas that have gotten popular in seed mixes. The list is a lot longer, but that's sort of the basics. Oh, I left out windfall apples, persimmons, and pears.

Comment

i hunt in the woods in northern MN

Comment

Well this might not be the answer your looking for but it will expand your mind a little. charlie elk posted a video of a deer eating a bird-Watch it here=---> http://www.outdoorlife.com/forums/hunting/whitetail-deer/deer-eats-bird-buck-ate-bird

Comment

Pineywoods, You left out blue berries. I planted twelve blueberry bushes and the deer not only get EVERY LAST BERRY before me, they also keep the tops of the boshes pruned to their eating height.

Comment

WHITE TAILS ARE known to consume over 400 different types of food,in hard times this includes dry leaves and cedar trees,obviously some are more preferred overothers

Comment

I saw one try to eat a '79 Chevy half ton once. It wasn't pretty.

Comment

santa---I wasn't familiar with their liking for blueberries, but as much as I like them myself, I'm sure they're popular with Bucky and the girls. They've eaten pretty much anything I've ever tried to raise in the garden. ---except zuchinni and cucumbers and I guess they weren't hungry enough.

Comment

A good idea of what deer eat & what to look for =---> http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12148-61306--,00.html

Comment

The deer eating bird video is here on Big Buck Zone,OL
                    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2010/07/whitetail-eats-live-bird
                    Travis Faulkner thought it interesting enough to embed it.
                    later,
                    charlie

Comment

I've seen Whites sprint across roads, hwys, and jump fence lines just to get to the fruit of the wild apple and persimmon on my property. I'm in my 12th year of successful food plots and my clover mixes, most of the brassica family and yes corn appeals to them and will hold over the doe population.

Do that and the bucks will bed down, hold and as long as you've got a stream and cover, they stay, for the most part.

If you are planning a plot, start next April, at the latest, May. The net will get you on the right track.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                        by fitch270
                        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                        Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                      • Reloading Gear Order
                        by fitch270
                        I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                        10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                      • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                        by dewman
                        Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                        10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                      • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                        by Ernie
                        Any handgun hunters here?
                        Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                        10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                      • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                        by Ernie
                        I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                        hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                        10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X