Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can smoke/light from a fire scare deer away, make them nerves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can smoke/light from a fire scare deer away, make them nerves?

Can smoke/light from a fire scare deer away, make them nerves?

Fire is one of the most dangerous natural things that all wildlife has to face. With their keen sense of smell, smoke is an early warning. So if nothing else, it puts them on alert. Yet I have seen them come right up to houses with fireplaces because they have gotten use to to the smell at that spot and seem to understand that it will not hurt them there.

Comment

READ** my area where i hunt has never seen a forest fire that i can remember..... so is it safe to say it doesnt matter. they wont react to it as a new smell like human scent in the area?

Comment

I feed deer at my camp (no hunting allowed in the area, EVER) and when the wind blows chimney smoke toward the feed area, the deer are skittish or leave and they've had years to get used to it.

Comment

We used to stand in the campfire smoke to eliminate ours. Didnt seem to make a difference. This was 20+ years ago if that makes any difference?

Comment

In cold weather I've warmed my hands over a small kindling fire and taken deer,deer are individuals some will undoubtly spook,some might be curious,others may simply disregard it.

Comment

i nearly killed a buck while i was burning used toilet paper. the wind was blowing right at him and he came to 20 yards. would of had him but my flintlock muzzleloader misfired.

Comment

I have had deer sneak in on me during "lunchbreaks" while still hunting along hardwood ridges for whitetails.The crackle and sight of the flames seem to create great curiousity in a few deer,but none were mature bucks.

Comment

I am sure than can scare the deer... I dont thing that it makes the deer nervous, but I guess...
                  <a href="http://www.sydneyquitcigarettes.com">quit smoking sydney</a>

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                    by Ernie
                    Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                  • Outdoor Life archives
                    by Scott123
                    Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                    10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                  • Blade Stain
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                    10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                  • Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X