Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, you hunt deer, elk and black beer, but can only own 3 rifles. What make,caliber and ammo would you choose and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, you hunt deer, elk and black beer, but can only own 3 rifles. What make,caliber and ammo would you choose and why?

Okay, you hunt deer, elk and black beer, but can only own 3 rifles. What make,caliber and ammo would you choose and why?

50 cal, inline blackpowder,300mag. and of course the 30,06 for when u get tired of packing the other two

Comment

7mmWBY, 375H&H and 308.

Comment

.270 for deer in open country using the 130 gr bullet Sierra, Rem core Lokt, Speer, Hornady are all good. .308 for deer and black bear in the bush using 150 gr ammo in a Speer Grand Slam, Nosler Partition or any number of high end factory loads. 375 H & H using the 250 gr Sierra Boat tail spitzer will do nicely for larger bear and elk.... if the bears get too big move on the the 300 gr round.

Comment

Sorry forgot bullet, 7mm 160 or 175 Nosler 308 165 Nosler Accubond and 375H&H 235 Barnes or 260 Nosler.

Comment

Y'all do know that wars have been started over questions such as these, right?
            However, I will have to second X2D and Kody's recommendations as they are hard to beat...

Comment

I concur with the .270 and .308 (.308 or 30.06 either one), but I'm a bit surprised that several of you would use a .375 for elk and deer. I thought a .300 win mag or maybe on the high side a .338, but a .375? That's one large cannon.

Comment

Bull Elk, I know alot of people that have traded their 338 for a 375 because the 375 has less recoil than a 338. Like I said I shoot a 235Barnes out out of mine goin 3000fps and it has more energy than a 338 with a 225.

Comment

Bull Elk, I know alot of people that have traded their 338 for a 375 because the 375 has less recoil than a 338. Like I said I shoot a 235Barnes out out of mine goin 3000fps and it has more energy than a 338 with a 225.

Comment

Sorry for the double post I was on the lap top and sorry for not explaining the reason for the 375. Think of it as shooting a .06 on steroids, I have shot 2boxes of 270grain out of mine over the bench with little recoil. I have shot a 338 with 250s that kknocked me sideways go figure.

Comment

I've got it settled in one gun. .300 Win Mag. any 150gr bullet for deer, 180gr nosler accubond for elk, and 200gr federal trophy bonded bear claw for bear. let the arguments commence.

Comment

Leave the other two rifles at home. Take the .338 Model 70 or the .338mag with you. She's not too big and not too small, just right. Don't forget the .44Magnum wheel gun holstered at your side. It can and will save your life.

Comment

30-06, 180gr core-kokt(Deer); 300 win mag, 180gr XP3(Elk); 450 Marlin, 325gr Hornady(Bear). This is what I own and use.

Comment

30-06 180gr Remington Core-lokt. Remington 700, Remington 760, Remington 742. All shoot great and will stop a Moose if the need arises.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                            • Pay it forward
                              by fitch270
                              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                            • Reloading Gear Order
                              by fitch270
                              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                              by dewman
                              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                              by Ernie
                              Any handgun hunters here?
                              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X