Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where I live and hunt there is a considerable difference in the behavior of bucks and does. I see does all the time during dayli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where I live and hunt there is a considerable difference in the behavior of bucks and does. I see does all the time during dayli

Where I live and hunt there is a considerable difference in the behavior of bucks and does. I see does all the time during daylight hours, but seldom catch a glimpse of even a young buck in the daytime. If not for game cameras and activity during the rut, I would conclude there are no male deer. My question is why there is such a drastic difference in their behavior. If the behavior of the does is inherently more dangerous than the secluded lives of a buck, their behavior should have evolved to match the buck’s behavior. I can’t believe the recent trend of trophy hunting has pushed bucks from the open to a secluded lifestyle. Talking to older old timers, the main change they have noticed is the massive increase in whitetail deer population from the scarce numbers during their youths. This increase is even noticeable during my 45 years of hunting. Has male deer behavior changed during the era of pursuit with high speed projectiles or where they just as reclusive 100 or a 1000 years ago? With the liberalization of regulations allowing harvesting of does, will we see a change in their behavior?

welcome to trophy hunting bucks,if old mature bucks exhibited the careless ways of doe deer then none would attain trophy status/with age comes wisdom and trophy bucks are quick learners with the ability to show even old timers a thing or two when it comes to surviving.

Comment

The biggest change I have seen in deer behavior over the last 45 years is their adapting to suburban areas.

Deer seem to be most active early in the morning and late in the afternoon as they always have. Areas where bucks are strictly nocturnal are usually the same areas that are heavily hunted.

Comment

John,
        I don't think any type of "Trophy" hunting is causing bucks to go nocturnal its just nature. If there is hunting pressure and sometimes even when there is no hunting pressure Bucks can go Nocturnal. I've seen it in trail cam pics.(And I don't consider me putting out a trail cam hunting pressure.) They just feel more at ease when it is dark. eventually they probably will come out into the daylight because they have found a hot Doe and will chase her through a used car lot if necessary. People have been shooting does forever, They do travel at night of course just not exclusively like some bucks tend to do. Don't think Does will ever go completely Nocturnal. Good luck. with the Bucks. Just get out early to the stand so you have an hour at least before shooting light. Bucks will make a mistake and it is usually at first light coming back to the bedding areas. at least in my experiences. Evening is good also but the big ones try to stay hidden until darkness falls. But once again as I said in the first sentence, I don't think it has anything to do with Trophy Hunting.

Comment

deer had to adapt to humans in evrey way & there will to survive is unmatched. Yes they will adapt more in the future, just take a look around the deer seem to find the local tree huggers private property & call base befor you can tag'm.

Comment

In WI we have a 9 day firearm season, 2 years ago I had a Reconyx wildlife management camera set up. A trophy class 180 - 12 point buck, 6x6 western count laid down on opening day in front of the camera. This buck did not leave his bed for 9 days.

This camera takes near video pics so every time this buck even flipped an ear or raised his head the cam shot 20 pics.

That is how the big boys survive.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
              by Scott123
              Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
              Yesterday, 11:23 PM
            • Blade Stain
              by jhjimbo
              Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
              Yesterday, 11:40 AM
            • Home Defense
              by jhjimbo
              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
            • Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X