Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It seems Peer Pressure is on the rise for shooting a Huge buck. No longer is 100-120 inch buck acceptable. When hunters you know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems Peer Pressure is on the rise for shooting a Huge buck. No longer is 100-120 inch buck acceptable. When hunters you know

It seems Peer Pressure is on the rise for shooting a Huge buck. No longer is 100-120 inch buck acceptable. When hunters you know, DVDs with big names, and magazines constantly showing how people are being successful at shooting large bucks. Its unavoidable that the pressure is created to shoot a “Monster Buck”. The reality is if your a non-resident hunter of your state of choice and have only a few weeks a year to hunt. How is one to avoid the influence and pressure of trying to shoot a Giant. I personally have felt bad shooting a 120 inch deer when I am seeing everyone around me shooting bigger bucks. When getting back to deer camp everyone always seems to look at a deer thats less than 150 inches as if one committed a crime. So the question is how does one remove themselves from the pressure of fellow hunters and just enjoy the hunt regardless of the rack size?

Welcome to the OL forum miamihunter.
    I don't feel this pressure you describe and can honestly say never have. Maybe because one of the things about hunting I find most appealing is the exercise of personal freedom, like the mountain men of yore. If you feel personally free then what others think you should do does not matter because if it does you have surrendered your free will to them.
    Each hunter has the right to decide at point of shot if he or she wants that particular deer; if the answer is yes there is honor in making a clean kill to put food on the table.
    Search your soul figure out what it is that provides you a satisfying challenge, then ignore the chatter and enjoy.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

I have sat here thinking about what to say and Charlie beat me to it.
      There comes a time in every man's life that he must decide to do what he knows to be the right thing to do, even when those around him urge him to not follow that path. Some of them do not realize what they are doing, but others will turn it into an exercise of control. If you seek to please others even when you are uncertain that what you are doing to please them is the right thing to do, they control you.
      You are the only one who can do what you know to be right. You are not responsible for what the others try to get you to do, you are only responsible to do what you know to be the right thing. You and no one else.
      Some times if the peer pressure is too great, a man needs to examine if he is with the right peers. It may be a change is in order. Or it may be that as that peer group sees one man who will not bend to the pressure but will instead do the right thing, so the peer group can be re-directed toward that which is right.
      I cannot tell you what you need to do, but these are only two options of many.
      I can only tell you that I choose to do what I know to be the right thing, without regard for what others think. I am not so worried about others thinking that I am less of a hunter or a man than they are. If they look down on me, they prove that they are the lesser not the greater.
      Is this easy? No, it is not. It has taken me most of 60 years to get to where I am now. But as I have weathered many storms, I have learned to use my compass, because it has been shown to be true when my world is darkened by night or by storm. My compass is true. I will follow it.

Comment

Miami,
        I can tell from your well chosen words in your question that you are a person I would enjoy hunting with.

I hold nothing against a hunter holding out for a big buck but likewise if a hunter makes a good clean kill on any animal I feel he has reached the pinacle of our sport.

With that said any day a field with my two boys is as good as it gets.

Comment

I feel compelled to tell a story. I hope it is not a bore.

My youngest son and I were sitting in a blind one evening when a small buck wandered too close for his own good. The deer received the sharp end of a crossbow bolt directly behind the shoulder fired by my then 12 year old son. The deer fell within sight.

The deer itself was very young and it's rack was barely above it's ears but it was my sons first buck. I stood over that buck and a tear started to roll down my cheek. I could not help but realize that this moment would be forever etched in my sons mind for as long as he lived and I was a part of it.

I have been lucky enough to shoot some amazing animals in my life but I consider this hunt one of my finest.

My son is still young but I pray one day he understands the meaning of that hunt and appreciates what that deer had given both of us.

Comment

When I was a kid we played baseball for the sheer love of the game. The last thing we wanted to see during the pick up games we played every day of the summer was an adult showing up to ruin our fun. Adults oversaw our league and tournament games where the pressure was on but we honed our skills and laughed in the process on our own time. We were competitive enough on our own and all too often the competitive adults took the fun out of the game. Charlie Elk and Bo have given some good advice about personal choices a man must make. I say a man must keep the boy alive by making some choices that acknowledge what was important in the beginning and is no less important today. The kid inside of us is still thrilled by his rifle and the idea of a projectile striking at great distances. Any hunter who can't muster some joy and excitement that harken back to his first deer hunt has turned into a killer and not a hunter. He is no longer hunting for the right reason. One of the contributors to this forum, Dropjhook, would consider such behaviour irreverent as it shows a callous disregard and disrespect for the animal at his feet. As a hunter your responsibility to the deer at your feet, regardless of the size of his rack, outweighs the cat calls of hunters who have lost touch with what is important. The kid tuned to the sounds and smells of the forest as he sat quietly in the stand waiting, his heart skipped as the buck appeared as if by magic and the moment the gun discharged sealed the moment in his mind forever. These are the things of value in a hunt and when their value is questioned and the once living thing becomes a object to critique it is time to man up and tell those fools to "Go to hell". Tell them what you value because what they value can not compete with what is real and important here. Keep the kid alive and be man enough to state your case.
            Kody

Comment

Tell your fellow hunters you are there to harvest meat, not antlers. And if they can't respect you for that, they have a problem with themselves. To look at a nice set of antlers is great, but some nice tenderloins cooked in butter with seasonings, onions and mushrooms is even better.
              Enjoy the hunt.

Comment

I have been invited to a camp several times where the requirement is if you shoot it better be a decent buck. And then the antlers get put up inside the cabin permanently. There are probably 150 racks on the wall. I always respectfully decline. Fortunately I have my own family land where we take what ever suits our fancy, which for me usually is a decent buck but I encourage my buddies who have limited experience to take any animal they choose.

Comment

The only 'peer' you have to answer----is yourself---- and if you followed the laws of the land;you really do not have anything more or anyone to answer too.

Last deer season I passed up numerous opportunities to fill my tag--more or less got consumed by one buck I seen in early October---and it was a personal choice because he was special--you guessed it no buck-no meat-- I went to the very last day trying to get the big one and principles are hard to chew on all winter.Where I hunt you have one tag to fill so this season the BBQ is my consideration -unless I get starstruck again.

Comment

Gents, while I agree with all that you are saying (I could not argue with you on any of these topics), I would have to say that there is one reason I would not shoot a small-antlered deer. Please do not come crashing down on me, this is just a reason... Lord knows I have pulled the trigger on some small-antlered deer (and enjoyed every bite too!)
                    The one reason for not shooting small antlered deer is as follows:
                    If you are in an area in which hunters are trying to manage a population and develop some big antlers in the area, it is not smiled upon when a young (small) buck is taken. From this, I find out what the management criteria is before hunting someone's land. If they instruct me to shoot only older bucks, I will. If it is a free-chase hunt on state land, then this point is almost null and it is incumbent on the hunter to make his/her own decision.
                    HOWEVER, if there is no management practice in place where you are hunting, Kody's words ring true in you can tell your buddies where to go! If they really are your buddies they will accept that answer.

Comment

As my dad always says, "you can't eat them horns". I'll bet the majority of us here would relish the opportunity to take a big, high scoring buck. I'll admit that I do but I don't let it consume me. I don't head out to my stand on opening morning hell bent on killing a monster. The buck in the picture was taken 18 seasons ago. The mount is a tribute to a great buck but I will tell you that every deer I've harvested has been magnificent. The little bucks, button bucks and the does that I've taken since then are also special to me.
                      It's about the hunt to me. I really don't care to associate with anyone who claims to be a "trophy hunter". "Trophy" hunting has become too sensationalized by magazines and the internet. Trophies have and will be taken on our hunting grounds but a confirmed "trophy hunter" is unwelcome. It's not the animal but the story behind the hunt that most interests me. The true reward of a great hunt is quality time afield with family and friends.

Comment

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I've shot many more smaller bucks than trophies. Don't get me wrong, I really like shooting big deer and elk, but many moons ago a fellow hunter told me that a "legal buck is a good buck." That's a motto I can live by and do.

Comment

Excellent question and a lot of superb answers above, so I'll try to add something without being repetetive. When the anti-hunters come around, it's a lot easier to defend meat hunting than trophy hunting. I've heard a lot on non-hunters say something like: I don't hunt but I'm OK with it as long as you eat the meat. "Trophy" hunting can turn that type of non-hunter into an anti-hunter. Don't get me wrong--I'm not averse to taking a trophy animal and I realize that most of us do both (by eating the meat of the trophy animal). But the trophy shouldn't be the main focus and the hunting shows create that perception. I don't condemn all hunting shows, some are better than others, but I'd like to see them do a better job of focusing on respect for the animal and utilization of the meat and hides. BTW, kudos to Kody on your comments about respect for the animal. I can't speak for DJH, but I think you accuratly described his sentiments and I wholeheartedly agree.

Comment

I definitely agree with all the above. Where my daughter and I hunt is family ground with out any trophy deer present. I have two hunts that I will always remember-my first kill--and the year that my daughter out shot her dad. To me the time in the woods with no one there but my self and my daughter is what it is all about. Yes I would love to have a wall hanger, but that is not what it is about. The early morning woods getting fired up, watching the squirrels play, the sun rise, the knowing after I am gone the world will still be turning, and the time my daughter have one on one undisturbed by video games, internet, or her boy friend will always be remembered. As my baby gets older and the boy friend aspect keeps creeping in I pray that she will love the hunt with her dad as much as I have.

Comment

If you ask my Grandson Alex, last season he got three to many with none! Did I mention he is only 10 years old last season LOL! It's not what you get, it's how you enjoy the great outdoors and Alex spent allot of quality time doing it!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X