Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey all I'm looking for some Deet-free mosquito repellent. What do you guys use/recommend? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all I'm looking for some Deet-free mosquito repellent. What do you guys use/recommend? Thanks.

Hey all I'm looking for some Deet-free mosquito repellent. What do you guys use/recommend? Thanks.

Try a permathine product. They sell different brands at wally world.

Comment

My "go to" mosquito control is the Thermacell.

Comment

Thermacell gets my vote too as long you are going to be stationary. Otherwise there is no substitute for lots of deet on exposed skin & permathin on your clothes. The mosquitoes are very thick this year in WI so I am wearing my full head net and gloves too while afield.
        I've tried the vitamins and garlic pill strategies it did not work for me but the mosquitoes got healthier, bigger and stronger.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

I need to try that thermacell. I hear nothing but good things about it.

I'm not a big fan of Deet. It works great but I can't stand the smell or the fact it eats plastic. Skin-So-Soft is not effective.

I go old school when it comes to mosquito repellent. I like head nets and heavy long sleeve shirts. Despite the warm temperatures I find the protection against all sorts of biting insects a relief.

Comment

Thermacell, Alfalfa tablets and anything else that might hide my breath from deer as well as mosquitos. Head nets keep the no see ums and ear munchers at bay somewhat.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I like the head net and long sleeve approach but it just gets way to hot when doing work under the summer sun. I will give the ideas mentioned above a try. Anybody ever use lemon eucalyptus spray? I tried it a few years back and was pleased by it's effectiveness, not even sure if it's still on the market though.

Comment

I've never found any kind of spray that works that doesn't have Deet in it. My experience with the Thermacell has been just as good as everybody else's as long as I'm not moving around. I've been spraying deet on myself for over sixty years and hae not noticed any ill effects, other than smelling like insect repellent, and as long as it keeps the bugs away I don't care. Anybody remember the old bottles of 6-12 that always leaked in your tackle box and ruined the finish on your lures?

Comment

BTW, the Dr Sawyer brand makes an odorless deet lotion that is as effective as any of the smelly 100% deet products.

Comment

I did some research on the EPA website where I learned about Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (OLE). Turns out OLE is as effective as DEET in repelling ticks and mosquitoes but since it is a plant based product it is safer for the environment and our health.
                    I went out and picked up Repel Lemon Eucalyptus and I'm glad I did; it works great!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X