Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A friend of mine asked me about this and I am relaying it. The entire story is long so I have condensed it down to the essential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend of mine asked me about this and I am relaying it. The entire story is long so I have condensed it down to the essential

A friend of mine asked me about this and I am relaying it. The entire story is long so I have condensed it down to the essentials. He is going to be traveling through grizzly country. He has a .44 Magnum, I don't know what kind, he didn't tell me. He was asking me what kind of ammo should he load that sucker with just in case he gets on the wrong end of a charging grizzly? I suggested at least 300 gr of something hard hitting. He wants to know the best bullet to use on a charging grizzly. Care to weigh in on this? I have no experience in dealing with bears, and will freely admit that I can only guess and I would rather not. It is more prudent to ask those who have been there.

Buffalo Bore 340gr - 1475fps delivering 1649 ft lbs. I know of nothing better for the 44. Your friend must practice with this ammo his 44 will kick a lot harder and he must be able to hold on target for 1-3 rapid shots. If he can't handle the recoil he should consider a rifle slung on the shoulder most Alaskans in serious bear country carry a rifle rather than pistol.
    He should also do study on bear behavior this will help him stay out of trouble.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

Most of my recommendations have to do with belt-fed weapons systems that require a class-3 license...

Comment

Captain, my friend did not appreciate it when I told him about the Ma Deuce. He mumbled something about being too hard to carry over rough terrain... What's up with that?

Comment

Thank you Charlie, I have referred that info on to him.

Comment

If he can't handle the kick, tell him to get a .357 mag (well maybe not) but a 10mm would do the job with some high grain ammo, or downgrade to a .41 Mag of course with high grain ammo. Downing a grizzly, well any kind of bear, in one shot, is not exactly the easiest task.

Comment

Kick is not a problem, he just wants a load that will nail the bear at a distance that is not touching him.

Comment

Well If he doesn't have tags he will have to 1. Try to prove the thing was attacking him (Claw marks, etc.) or 2. Not turn the thing in (which is EXTREMELY Illegal, but I'm not letting a Grizzly kill me just because I'm afraid of the Game Warden. Not at all saying poaching is good but if you are being threatened and you can't prove that the thing was actually attacking you, Your not in a good place.

Comment

Carrying the .50 might be rough... but you can't argue with the results.

Comment

Captain that makes me smile. My friend is not a Schwarzenegger or a Jesse Ventura, so he can't do the carry thing. But having seen a .50 and what it can do; no, I don't think there is any argument with the results. No argument at all. :-D

Comment

Remember, you can not carry a Hand gun into Canada. SO the location is important and I didnt see that identified. I would feel more comfortable with a Semi auto Shotgun shooting Slugs

Comment

My dad killed a bear that was charging him with his 44. mag and he told me that the best round is the biggest your friend can get his hands on.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X