Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have several 30.06 rifles that I use to hunt elk and deer. One is set up using Nosler Partitians in 180 grain bullets. The o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have several 30.06 rifles that I use to hunt elk and deer. One is set up using Nosler Partitians in 180 grain bullets. The o

I have several 30.06 rifles that I use to hunt elk and deer. One is set up using Nosler Partitians in 180 grain bullets. The other is new and I would like to use 150 grain loads mainly for mule deer, but possibly for elk as well. What would you recommend? I do not handload. Bull Elk

I Recommend using more than 150gr for elk. It may kill it, but that animal will sufer before death. Not only is it cruel to animal, it will make your hunt harder by having to follow the blood trail longer if you would have just used a higher grain. My opinion

Comment

http://www.outdoorlife.com/answers/hunting/big-game/elk/117-grain-bullet-25-06-enough-kill-bull-elk-ethically

http://www.outdoorlife.com/answers/hunting/big-game/elk/117-grain-bullet-25-06-enough-kill-bull-elk-ethically

Comment

As pointed in the link above^^^ shot placement is everything

Comment

2 great 150 gr 30-06 loads from Remington are the Swift Scirocco and Core-Lokt Ultra. They both have preformed very well for me. 150gr will not cause elk to suffer.

Comment

i use the 30-06 religuously, on game from coyotes to moose, i use the 150 for everything the bullet i use is the 150 grain barnes triple shock (found in federal factory loads) these bullets work wonders i shot a moose whitetail mule deer and elk in one season and im happy to say not a single animal took a step after the shot, so no they will not suffer and die just as fast as any caliber as long as your shot is decent, the triple shocks have excellent weight retention i achieved 99% and expand rapidly but hold together so they dont blow up and penetrate extremely well,

Comment

Okay. I guess I wasn't as accurate on this topic as I should be

Comment

I have seen 150 gr zip right threw deer & they seemed as if they hardly felt it, 170 on up is my choice for 3o-o6 because I pack the game out manually so I like the smack down the bigger loads bring!

Comment

Why dont you split down the middle and shoot a 165 in a Partion or Barnes then you can hunt both with one rifle.

Comment

X2DKkiller has it and a +1!!!

Comment

I would check the accuracy of 150,165 and 180 gr Federal Nosler Partions in the new rifle and see which is the most accurate. At 200 yards all three will kill an Elk with a good shot. Hornady now has ammo that turns the 30-06 into a 300 H&H magnum with no promblem in all bullet weights.

Comment

If you don't mind shooting copper, the Winchester E-Tip is one heck of a bullet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X