Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I keep seeing wire saws at the store, and i'm wondering how effective they actually are? Anyone ever use one or have an opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep seeing wire saws at the store, and i'm wondering how effective they actually are? Anyone ever use one or have an opinion

I keep seeing wire saws at the store, and i'm wondering how effective they actually are? Anyone ever use one or have an opinion on them. Is it worth having in the pack or is a sierra saw better to have?

I tried using one before and broke off one of the rings almost immediately. I would much rather have a sierra saw. I think they are more durable and you can also use them on game. Gerber makes a nice one that also comes with a second bone saw blade.

Comment

For a back-up or emergency saw, wire saws are fantastic. Considering how light they are and can be coiled for easy packing anywhere in your day pack I wouldn’t go into the woods without one. That being said I wouldn’t want to rely on a wire saw for day to day camp chores, that isn’t what they are designed for. Keep the sierra saw for daily use. And remember, you get what you pay for with wire saws just like everything else.

Comment

well it depends on what kind and how you use it. ive had a couple but they were the ones you buy from wal-mart or academy and they break to easy. i would suggest buy the old military kind off the internet they are mor durable but make sure you dont bend it to far when you saw(bend it where it looks like an oval cut in halve not a v).

Comment

They can be very handy or dangerous depending on how you use it. Brigade Quartermaster sells one model that works well. Just follow the instructions so you don't break it and hurt yourself.

Comment

I agree with all that's been said. With a wire saw you are limited to the size of wood you want to cut, obviously you can't cut down a mature tree with it, but with smaller trees it's fine. I have used wire saws before and the trick is to go slow and even. As was stated before take both with you. A word of caution though; wire saws will rust through if not taken care of, same goes for the folding saws.

Comment

they break right away and f up your fingers

Comment

I've had one at various times. They almost always end up breaking in storage or right after coming out of storage.

I used to think they were good for stuff, but now I'm struggling to see the point. I don't break the pelvis in field, I don't expect to cut limbs with it. In a survival situation it might be nice to have, but for my everyday hunting stuff I just don't use it that much any more.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget