Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is an easy way to scout deer and turkeys when you dont have a lot of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an easy way to scout deer and turkeys when you dont have a lot of time?

What is an easy way to scout deer and turkeys when you dont have a lot of time?

Nolan, that's a tough one! What I do is try to remember the rubs and tracks from previous season and the location of the other hunters.

After I figured out the general area, I go this link and you will have to down load and active X so you can use the 3D map. Works fantastic it does. You can pan around and change angles as if you was in a helicopter zipping around! I hope this helps

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=44.023938~-99.71&style=h&lvl=4&tilt=-89.875918865193&dir=0&alt=7689462.6842358

Comment

Nolan I tested the link and it didn't work. Try this one

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=44.023938~-99.71&style=h&lvl=4&tilt=-89.875918865193&dir=0&alt=7689462.6842358

Comment

If it is privately owned land, ask the farmer or landowner.

Comment

On public land, the game warden may be able to steer you in the general direction, otherwise, Old Salts has a good idea.

Comment

Try this link, bottom center of the map is the control for road or aerial view. Control left or Control Right will turn the map around to see different degrees of view. I'll try to find a link to the older version.

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj#

Comment

Must be in "birds eye view option" to turn the map 360

Comment

Pick a good looking spot and set up. Observe your surroundings and activity while you hunt and make decisions to move your set up based on what you know and what you have learned. I shot a decent 8 pointer this fall using this strategy over a period of about 3 days. By the moment of truth, it was almost as if I had drawn it up in a playbook.

Comment

I should note that deer are plentiful in my neck of the woods. I've often said that I could jump out of an airplane and hunt from wherever I land. I'm old school when it comes to scouting, however. Never had the need to use a topo map. You don't need a lot of time if you use it effeciently. Find bottle necks and funnels and you will find deer. Take a day off and you could cover quite a bit of ground in a single day.

Comment

A trail camera is a good investment. It's not a catch all but it's just another tool in the bag.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X