Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello to everyone in the OL, I am a long time hunter and there is something that I just don't understand. I have a small tract o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to everyone in the OL, I am a long time hunter and there is something that I just don't understand. I have a small tract o

Hello to everyone in the OL, I am a long time hunter and there is something that I just don't understand. I have a small tract of property in Rockdale county, Ga. that I use during bow season. This used to be my Pa Paws farmland, which has grown up over the past 10 years. It still holds those big pasture ant beds though, and more times than not, while I am scouting the property pre season I notice the deer will relieve themselves smack dab in the ant beds.Every ant mound will have deer droppings in them, which could be upto 100 diffrent ant mounds. Why do they feel the need to do this and does it happen all over the country?

I've never seen that over here in Alabama. I assume that you are talking about fire ant mounds. I know a rabbit will take a dump on a stump, but never saw deer do anything like that.

Comment

Ammonia is a great way to kill ants. Maybe the deer are doing a little extermination so they don't get bit when passing through the area

Comment

from what i have observed, deer don't like to go on something that they could bed down on (kind of like cats and other animals, they rather do it on bare dirt, ants usualy have already cleared to dirt.

Also the ants may use the waste to their advantage, thereby helping to get rid of it, lessioning the chance of a preditor being able to cent it because the ants secreat a cent that can be realy strong (squish an ant between your thumb and finger and sniff)
        Hope this helps

Comment

well this is my educated crack at it! Did you know ants release a chemical that kill tiny pests are bugs. Its been proven that ravens dance on top of a ant nest to stir them up. Its like a car was for animals the ants climb on release the chemical & it helps fight of the pests so inturn the animal has a less chance for infection. So I'm thinking the deer are catching on to the ravens version of heathcare.djh

Comment

I think it is just that every living thing hates fire ants!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
              by dewman
              So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
              Yesterday, 10:12 PM
            • Now That's Service
              by jhjimbo
              Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
              Yesterday, 07:57 PM
            • Lost some cover; pic heavy
              by fitch270
              ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
              09-19-2020, 06:07 PM
            • Covid-19
              by jhjimbo
              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
            • Spur of the moment rifle
              by Amflyer
              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X