Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TO SURVIVE IN THE WILD, IN PA. WHAT TYPES PLANTS AND INSECTS ARE SAFE TO EAT, HOW DO WE TELL? WHICH IS THE MOST BENEFICIAL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO SURVIVE IN THE WILD, IN PA. WHAT TYPES PLANTS AND INSECTS ARE SAFE TO EAT, HOW DO WE TELL? WHICH IS THE MOST BENEFICIAL?

TO SURVIVE IN THE WILD, IN PA. WHAT TYPES PLANTS AND INSECTS ARE SAFE TO EAT, HOW DO WE TELL? WHICH IS THE MOST BENEFICIAL?

There are several books you can get. Try any of Tom Brown's books on the subject. There is also the Peterson's Guide, "A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants" that you should find to be valuable. Check with any state agencies, such as your local ag department, they may have information that can help you. There are many references that you can access. The plants you have in PA may or may not be found in OK where I live. So check around, and good luck.
    As far as insects, grasshoppers are edible, but cook them first. You will know they are done when they turn red. But break the legs off before you eat them. The legs will get caught between your teeth and drive you nuts. You can also eat locusts, but I have NO experience with those. You are on your own. there.

Check out some survival books, the Army's FM 21-76, used to be called Survival, Evasion, and Escape. I think it is now just survival. The Air Force has a training manual and a field manual. These are more general for the world but both of those could serve you well. There are some that are supposed to be used by the SAS and you can look at those, they are more general for the world scene and not a localized area such as the US.
    Find if there are any survival classes being given in your area. Be careful doing this, I have heard "experts" who were not as knowledgeable as they thought and they were dangerous in the information they were putting out. A little knowledge is more dangerous than none in some cases.
    I do NOT claim to be an expert in survival. I have been in situations where I have learned some things that can get people through the sticky times. I am happy to share what I have learned if it will keep others from having bad things happen. But I don't have any kind of class or anything like that. When I am in the field, I show things to people as things come up.
    Good luck.

Comment

Unless you are an expert, do not mess with the plant life. Of course, you can eat grubs and worms... but I have never been that hungry. There is no reason to be unprepared for time in the woods.
      To survive in the wild, I always have Clif bars (the best tasting of the meal-replacement bars, I think), water and water purification tablets.
      A human can go weeks without food (but only three days without water). You will grow weak, but it can be done. Personally, I have only gone three days without food. It was not pleasant, but I was still able to walk with a 60-pound pack on my back.

Comment

Ahhh.... Bo, it seems we have the same taste in books :-)
        Grammy...... Tom Brown and Peterson Field Guide books are good resources and hold a wealth of knowledge. You can start learning what plants are safe to eat through these books.
        I've been studying edible and medicinal plants for over twenty years. I've been interested in plants since I was a kid many years ago. I'm not an expert, but I can offer a little bit of advice..... Before eating or using plants, study them first for at least a year, get to know them in every state of growth/life and positively identify them and know what is their benefits and drawbacks - your life is at stake in more than one way. Stay away from mushrooms; due to the fact some are poisonous and ensure death either quickly or a slow, painful death. On the other hand there are edible mushrooms, but be careful! Be able to identify plants in their live state as well in their dead state. Plants that an animal eats doesn't necessarily mean they are safe for humans to eat.
        An example of two plants to be careful about: Wild Carrot a.k.a. Queen Anne's Lace and Poison Hemlock. Both plants look the same at first glance. BUT, upon closer observation there are differences. One major difference: One sustains life, the other takes it away.

Comment

I'm following a group of knowledgeable outdoorsmen,but would like to ass a few of my favorites,Dandelions,sourdock,catail,mulberry and any ground berry,black and dew.On the new growth of polk salad i'll pick the the tender leaves and boil twice,taste like collards and are harmless!!!!!!Don't eat the berries!!!love to find a turtle ,tortoise whatever and add him to the feast.Remember to look under the rocks at the edge of the lake or stream crawfish are great but cook them,they have some terrible internal parasites.I will say that having field supplies weather MRE,or energy bars are a mainstay,have some handy field rations.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X