Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think there is ever a possibility of the whitetail deer herd growing so vast out in the west that they will dwarf the pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think there is ever a possibility of the whitetail deer herd growing so vast out in the west that they will dwarf the pop

Do you think there is ever a possibility of the whitetail deer herd growing so vast out in the west that they will dwarf the population of the mules so much that crossbreeding will take place and we will never know our mule deer herd as we do today..??

They are already out there and have been for years.Crosses have been found all over the place.

Comment

If your worried about mule deer numbers going down its not going to come from inter breeding with whitetail. I think the most things that damage mule deer numbers are things like predators,unchecked poaching, sickness, extrem winters ,loss of habitat , over hunting & human population. From what I noticed mule deer are the dominant one of the two but if you need any help removing some whitetail of your property im sure you will find many that would glady volunteer from this fourm :-].

Comment

abfreddie64 raises his hand to djh

Comment

Our experience on the family farm would confirm DropjHook's statement regarding the mule deer being the dominant of the two deer species. The mule deer seem to push the whitetail out of areas. They tend to be bigger so this is understandable. I had always thought mule deer were too dumb to survive in close proximity to man. The same places where the whitetail seems to thrive. Perhaps I was wrong in this belief as the mule deer are adapting well to habitats that man frequents. This is a good thing as it ensures a deer species that can provide hunters sporting opportunities that would otherwise be denied.

Comment

The mule deer's dominance may drive the whitetail bucks away but look at it this way what if it's a whitetail doe in estrus and the muley breeds her it still waters down the genetics of the muley.But throw my name in that hat for the whitetail control,in my book it all cooks.

Comment

so far around here we have several hybrids as we call them running around and the mule deer population is finally just coming back into itself because over the years the numbers dropped and now they are finally rebounding and we have see that mule and whites are intermingling with each other but alot of people say that if the mule deer get to big they will push out the whites but for now i am happy they are both there

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X