Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ladies and gents, when I get home my son will be 18 months old. This is about the age I was when my father started taking me hun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies and gents, when I get home my son will be 18 months old. This is about the age I was when my father started taking me hun

Ladies and gents, when I get home my son will be 18 months old. This is about the age I was when my father started taking me hunting with him. Deer season will be starting, and I want to start taking my son and wife to the woods with me. Fortunately, I will be hunting in the south so it will be warm enough for little man to sit in a stand with me. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can keep a wiggly little boy semi-still and quiet in a deer/hog stand? At this point, I would rather spend time with him than be "more successful" on a hunt.

Dear Captain,
    Of course you realize that you are asking the impossible. Nevertheless, I am prepared to give the benefit of my years of parenting wisdom. By some accident ( we are not sure how we got it right) we managed to raise some incredible young people. They are now raising their own only doing a better job than us. Shameless, my wife and I take credit for this as well. The real secret to handling the little guys when all else fails comes down to one word... bribery! In this case you need to fill that blind with every toy known to mankind and you need to stock it with every treat the kid craves. If he hasn't got something in his hand put some tasty snack in his mouth. Your only hope of bagging a deer with the little guy in the blind is total sensory overload, total distraction and instant gratification. Forget the matches, compass and warm socks you normally pack into your backpack, these are the true survival tools required if you plan on hunting with a two year old. Have fun and best wishes for a speedy homecoming.
    Yours truly
    Kody

Comment

You are starting out with the right attitude about "success".
      Consider taking him on some small game hunts like squirrel. He can get more involved by using some calls and you have a greater chance of killing one for him to play with & study.
      Not only have some snacks but also collect natural things for him to study and play around with. Couple of small antlers to bang together, grunt call he can blow, don't forget the simple things in the woods like neat shaped sticks, branches, leaves, small stones and maybe even pick a wild flower or 2 for him and your wife. Make a small bag or backpack for him to carry and collect things.
      At 18 months every little thing will be new and exciting to him. You have a great opportunity yourself to began again noticing all the little things in the wild. Those things that some of us old timers start to take for granted.
      You may want to consider hearing protection for him I had forgot those when my daughter accompanied me about that age. To this day she blames me for her flinch. ;-)
      A salute to you captain you are embarking on an incredibly enjoyable journey.
      Best regards,
      charlie

Comment

Kody and Charlie have some excellent suggestions. I recommend high sugar treats. Not as a nurse, but as a parent who knows when the insulin response kicks in, the child will very likely go to sleep. That means you need to give it to him before you leave ;-)
        Seriously, I really cannot add to what the above two posts had.

Comment

Gents, thanks for the input. I always enjoy reading your posts. I think at this point I just look forward to spending time with little man and his momma.
          As for sending the little fellow into sugar shock... this idea has merit.

Comment

I am a parent, that is how I know.

Comment

Speaking of ear plugs, Charlie Elk and Captain. Any time my daughter gets a ringing in her ears she reminds me of her first duck hunting trip at just about the age of the Captain's boy. I was carrying her in one of those little back packs with her looking over my shoulder. I had promised my wife that I wouldn't shoot my shotgun until we got to the blind where she would keep the little one back from the action. A flight of mallards burst over the trees and I shouldered that Wingmaster and fired three shots before I knew what I was doing! She didn't cry but her eyes were big as saucers. That little girl grew up to say, "What were you thinking, Dad?" I'll hunt up the photo of that day and try to post it. It's too late to destroy the evidence!

Comment

I have access to some of those good ear plugs that will allow any sound under 60 decibels, but muffles anything sound over that. I will make sure I outfit little man with a pair so he does not feel like he is deaf as with old foam ear plugs, and his hearing will also be protected.
                I have a short story that I have written about hunting with my father. One of these days, if I get up the nerve, I might post it.

Comment

HE IS A YEAR AND A HALF OLD HE WILL NOT SIT STILL IN THE STAND UNLESS HE IS SLEEPING but make sure you wake him up before you shoot otherwise he will be crying until he gets home but if he starts getting jittery give him a sucker, make sure he doesn't poop his pants, unless he is potty trained

Comment

Rather than taking him hunting because he's 18 months, I would suggest looking at his personality and deciding if he's ready. At 4 years old, the only time my son sits still for 5 minutes is when he's asleep. It doesn't matter what toys you gave him he’d hate being in a blind. I have taken him out for walking squirrel hunts with limited success. I got a pop up ground blind this year. If you limit the windows that are open so that you can’t see through the blind, it is about impossible to see into the blind. Your son could be inside hoping up and down and you'd still be good.

Comment

I'm a parent of 4 energetic boys 6,3 & the twins are 2. If you can get him into action fast your hunt will be a fun & successful. If there is alot of waiting involved the more the kid will lose focus on why he's out there & my guess they start thinking about spong bob square pants back at home. Snacks work but you better have a good size pile to bring I noticed that the things take longer to chew is better to have gum, suckers I would store bought jerky I thought was a good idea until this past fall when I brought my nephew for his first hunt. He droped his jerky out the stand with saying anythin. Well about a half hour later there was bear under or tree stand & the bear pushed all the deer away from our stand. My theory is the faster the action the better experience for the youngster. I just wanted to add there is a town 15 miles away & when I was young that ride seemed to take hours but know that I'm growin the ride is only a blink of the eye!GOOD LUCK!

Comment

The Captain, There is not a better bunch of guy's & gal's that you would want to share your hunting stories with. djh

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                          Dear Captain,
                          Of course you realize that you are asking the impossible. Nevertheless, I am prepared to give the benefit of my years of parenting wisdom. By some accident ( we are not sure how we got it right) we managed to raise some incredible young people. They are now raising their own only doing a better job than us. Shameless, my wife and I take credit for this as well. The real secret to handling the little guys when all else fails comes down to one word... bribery! In this case you need to fill that blind with every toy known to mankind and you need to stock it with every treat the kid craves. If he hasn't got something in his hand put some tasty snack in his mouth. Your only hope of bagging a deer with the little guy in the blind is total sensory overload, total distraction and instant gratification. Forget the matches, compass and warm socks you normally pack into your backpack, these are the true survival tools required if you plan on hunting with a two year old. Have fun and best wishes for a speedy homecoming.
                          Yours truly
                          Kody

LOL! Now that sounds like great advice!

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                            You are starting out with the right attitude about "success".
                            Consider taking him on some small game hunts like squirrel. He can get more involved by using some calls and you have a greater chance of killing one for him to play with & study.
                            Not only have some snacks but also collect natural things for him to study and play around with. Couple of small antlers to bang together, grunt call he can blow, don't forget the simple things in the woods like neat shaped sticks, branches, leaves, small stones and maybe even pick a wild flower or 2 for him and your wife. Make a small bag or backpack for him to carry and collect things.
                            At 18 months every little thing will be new and exciting to him. You have a great opportunity yourself to began again noticing all the little things in the wild. Those things that some of us old timers start to take for granted.
                            You may want to consider hearing protection for him I had forgot those when my daughter accompanied me about that age. To this day she blames me for her flinch. ;-)
                            A salute to you captain you are embarking on an incredibly enjoyable journey.
                            Best regards,
                            charlie
                            Good point about the hearing protection Charlie. I was going to mention the same thing.

Comment

" I think at this point I just look forward to spending time with little man and his momma."

If that's the case then don't make the two of them sit in the blind with you, trying to be still and quiet. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are being selfish and a little reckless with the kid's hearing.

Instead, instill a love of the outdoors early by taking them on short hikes and fishing. Way more action and new things to see for the kiddo. I did this with my daughter, let her 'pet' the fish that was caught and about to be released, etc. Wait until children are older to introduce them to hunting and for their sake have them wear adequate hearing protection, even when you are just using a .22

https://www.amazon.com/Snug-Kids-Earmuffs-Hearing-Protectors/dp/B00CBDJ84S

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                              • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                                by Ernie
                                I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                                hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                                10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X