Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found my dead deer one day later, but carcass had been chewed on. Is meat safe to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found my dead deer one day later, but carcass had been chewed on. Is meat safe to eat?

Found my dead deer one day later, but carcass had been chewed on. Is meat safe to eat?

I believe it would depend on were and how much was chewed on. You obviously don't want the parts were it had been chewed. I suggest use the parts that hadn't been touched and cut away wherever it has been.

Comment

Absolutely not, nowhere. You never know who bit or licked it anywhere. Critters in the wild carry every kind of bacteria and virus. Where I'm from, folks spray-painted the dead armadillos on their way into town. And picked up the unpainted ones on the way home. But their predecessors had escaped from a medical research facility, where they had been used in leprosy experiments.

Comment

Depending on the type of mortal wound-there would be no end to the list of different bacteria present from within the deer carcass itself-any perforation in the digestive system would expose some very unhealthy variables.Our regulated food system over the last few years has provided some serious health concerns simply due to one variable being compromised in the process-beef-spinach-tomatoes have all unfortunately made headlines.Also not everyone gets ill from certain strains of bacteria so you would risk not only your health but others as well if they consumed a potentially unhealthy cut of venison.

Comment

On an early morning visit to the Supermarket, you find a package of meat with the wrapping split open laying on the floor. The floor looks clean but you have to assume it has been out all night. Do you ask for a discount, take it home and fry it up? It's your call, just don't tell the neighbors.

Comment

No -way another good time for a blood dog.could have saved this deer from the varmits.Instead of letting it go to waste.

Comment

Biggest thing I would worry about is what were the low and high temperatures in between the time of the shooting and the finding of the deer. If it was warm, I would say no way, if it was, say, below forty degrees F. that is a different matter. 40 degrees is cool enough to inhibit some bacterial growth and you will be less likely to contract something along the lines of salmonella or other nasty dysenteric conditions. Below freezing would make the meat safer.
              When I was growing up in Nebraska, we had a rule. But first a question. What do you call a roadkill pheasant in the winter time? The answer is supper, if it is winter, it is cold outside and the meat will not have had time to go bad, and you know it hasn't been there very long because the coyotes haven't found it.
              Enjoy.

Comment

Absolutely not. Gift a gift to the Varmints. There could be more bactieria on there than anything.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                  by Scott123
                  Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                  Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                • Blade Stain
                  by jhjimbo
                  Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                  Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                • Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X