Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a nineteen year old that loves the outdoors, and am at that point in life where I need to decide what to do with my life. W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a nineteen year old that loves the outdoors, and am at that point in life where I need to decide what to do with my life. W

I am a nineteen year old that loves the outdoors, and am at that point in life where I need to decide what to do with my life. What are some good options for me for an outdoor related field?

Truth be known Scoggins, most people stumble into their 'chosen' field without having a plan or making a choice. Some times that can work out but often it can make for unhappy circumstances down the road. You on the other hand, have a sense of direction in mind and are ready to step ahead. What do I want to do and how do I get it? Brother, when you ask those questions you are as good as there. Life is long, enjoy the journey. Good luck in finding what you are after.

Comment

Environmental career choices/studies-relating to water-air and land---Wildlife biology-resource management- forestry programs-marine and freshwater fields.Although the economy has been through an unprecedented downturn the potential career choices in the "green field" will undoubtedly be a vital part of governments at all levels be it federal-state/provincial or municipal.

Comment

Good comments, I just want to add that we as outdoorsmen over look the whole forest fire field in America we spend billions as a country fighting these forest fires. You can kill two birds with one stone how you ask? Well if you could invest in pumper trucks the gov. is always looking for more trucks in fire danger season they get so thined out in summer time they contract private pumper trucks for good$ all you need is 2 men per. truck to run it & there are plenty who would love the job. How is that two birds well you make good $ plus your on the front line fighting the blaze that wants leave a scare on someones favorite hunting spot for close to 20 years. I think that forest fires did alot of damage to wild life in the last 15 yrs look at how much hunting ground was burned no wonder the big game animal harvest % is way down. DJH

Comment

At this point in time of huge government.Just pick onr hell they are the only ones getting raises and have job security they can't get fired ,and they have a great retirement.Good luck which ever way you go but love what you do it will make your life so much more pleasent.

Comment

Research what YOU want to do, find out what you have to do to attain it and COMMIT to it. Here in this forum, we can give you ideas, but that is no replacement for you discovering your individual calling.
            Be adventurous, start with a broad idea and whittle away at it until your idea is a finely honed career path. Make a plan that is your own.
            For what it is worth, there it is. Look at this as an adventure. Gear up and enjoy the journey.

Comment

Kody is right, but if you do have a plan, I know a ton of my friends here in Montana that have became fire fighters, might not sound like a good job, but its an amazing job here in MT. I also have friends who are game biologists, which is what I want to do. But for no I stumbled into a job for Law Enforcement, which is helping me get the experience I need to get to work for the Forest Service

Comment

Career paths can diverge from the original plan so don't get to thinking anything is written in stone. As you 'whittle away' at the broad idea you may come across other paths of interest. Sometimes those are worthwhile detours, as is the case with Glorifiedmidget. The point is 'discovering your individual calling' requires some flexible thinking and a measure of passion for whatever tasks are required.

Comment

Maybe look into volunteering a few hours at your local DNR or similar organization. I know this is not always easy, but you would gain experience at different positions and have a chance to pick the brains of the DNR staff. Many of these careers require some level of college, so volunteering may help you decide if this career could be right for you. College is not getting any cheaper and volunteering might lead to a job in the future. Best of luck.

Comment

People with goals and plans are the one that succeed in life and tend to be the most satisfied. Whatever you decide set them high and don't let anything get in your way.

Comment

The game commision is always looking for people

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                        by Scott123
                        Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                        Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                      • Blade Stain
                        by jhjimbo
                        Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                        Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                      • Home Defense
                        by jhjimbo
                        If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                        10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                      • Pay it forward
                        by fitch270
                        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                        10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                      • Reloading Gear Order
                        by fitch270
                        I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                        10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X