Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that guts there deer in the field anymore. Every hunting show I watch they go in with some type of atv and car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one that guts there deer in the field anymore. Every hunting show I watch they go in with some type of atv and car

Am I the only one that guts there deer in the field anymore. Every hunting show I watch they go in with some type of atv and carry the deer out with out gutting it out, why. Will it screw up there hunting that bad, and what do they do with the guts?

It could be that they have some lowly person that does all of the nasty work,It might mess up their manacure.How many of them do you ever see getting any blood on them ?Just watch them when they pick up a bloody arrow,it's like it radioactive.I've gutted deer in the woods and hunted the same stand the next day and the deer paid no more attention to the gut pile than they did to any other brushpile

Comment

Probably more of a conscious decision on the part of the producer for a number of reasons.First we all know what happens after you make that shot and these shows try to include as much information and new content as possible. More importantly leaving this part out mitigates backlash from anti-hunting groups(one thing we do not need);although it still seems perfectly fine to prepare that shore lunch in front of the camera.Advertisers and local stations do not need the phone ringing off the hook about something perhaps that might upset people especially children.Some of our outdoor shows running here in Canada now offer warnings at the start and after breaks advising that some scenes may not be suitable for children or certain individuals.Really;I do not have a problem with that-it is more about respecting everyone's differences and beliefs and I expect the same in return when it comes to my decision to hunt or fish.

Comment

It was part of my initation in to hunting ,you killed it,you clean it,always had plenty of supervision urging me on.I can see not wanting to show the gore but outdoorsmen have seen it before .
        Merry Christmas

Comment

hunting shows are to main stream they worry about there image more than anything worried about what they show worried about what people say worried about there pocket most of all.

Comment

I believe the quicker you get an animal gutted and beginning to cool the better. I try to gut geese in the field for the same reason and because leaving them to the next morning is a much smeller proposition. Besides, it is a sounder practice to let nature take back by providing a food source for other wildlife rather than directing it to the garbage dump.
            As to sanitizing the movie footage it is not much different than what the hunting magazines expect. Look at the trophy photos complimenting articles by contributing writers and you will not see much blood. That is no accident, they want to show the trophy animal without any distractions which is pretty sensible. The TV show, which may have a much broader audience, risk losing advertising dollars by offending the wrong people. $$$$
            As a kid I recall taking great delight in showing a colour photo of my father beside his royal elk, in the foreground was a gut pile that never failed to gross out my friends - with the exception of the farm kids.

Comment

Got to be the "image" thing.
              Anybody else seen the "impact shots" disclaimer ?

Comment

If I am hunting from a ground blind and expect to use the location again, I will take a garbage bag along and put the guts in there and make an extra trip back to the truck with the guts. I just think the less of an impact one can make the better. That gut pile will also bring in scavengers & predators that will upset the deer.

Comment

I was watching one of the shows once and one of the things that they said is that they will show the initial shot hitting the animal. However if there is a second shot, or a replay of the first shot, that shot will not be shown hitting the animal. I don't know why and they didn't explain why.
                  Watching another one recently they were talking to the cameraman. While he was talking he said that they would cleam up the animal as much as they can before showing the hunter with the animal.
                  If you pay attention to the shows they really don't show much of the blood. Surely not as much as would be typical of what you see actually in the field.

Comment

I don't know Cjohnrud, I'd rather have the scavengers eating that gut pile. Consider that you have just impacted that system by killing that deer. That deer may have been the meal ticket for any number of predators, why not leave them something. As I said before, it seem wrong to be depositing those guts in a dump to rot with out any creature benefiting. A coyote chewing on that pile means the deer have a reprieve for a few days. A host of other creatures of the variety most of us are disinclined to shoot benefit as well. Leave the blood to the soil and rest to whatever as that is nature at work.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget