Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is more important to today's deer hunters, killing the biggest buck in the woods, to get bragging rights, having an adventu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is more important to today's deer hunters, killing the biggest buck in the woods, to get bragging rights, having an adventu

What is more important to today's deer hunters, killing the biggest buck in the woods, to get bragging rights, having an adventure and making a great story, or is it something else? What keeps us hunters wanting to hunt? Why do we have so much passion for the sport?

Personally I have yet to return from a trip afield be it black powder,archery or rifle-shotgun season that I have not enjoyed.Some of my most fondest memories are just the experience of nature itself.One of my best late day bow hunts ever was watching eleven deer pass outside of bow range in one hour from my tree stand.Or a huge buck at full steam running cattails and waiting for one shot at the end of a bay just before the hardwoods start-about a six foot window of opportunity and I missed.Still think about that one and smile-- that was ten years ago.Some great shots and great bucks also; all worth a little good old fashioned bragging.Those first few steps of the day's hunt are the best simply because of the unknown and the anticipation of how the day will unfold.The success-the adventure--the failure-the experience-the memories and the world itself is constantly changing(some things you can't Google) just thankful for those the timeless steps in the deer woods.

Comment

We don't hunt for the trophy we hunt because we enjoy the experience. The time spent out gives us the memories and experiences that we remember for the rest of our lives, that give us a reason to want to go and hunt again. The trophy is just a bonus.

Comment

its the thought of not knowing whats going to happen and the excitement of a childs first hunt or a buddies big catch its just being one with nature to remind us of what is real!

Comment

I go after the big bucks not for bragging rights but for the challenge. I also try and take a doe to fill my freezer in case I don't get a buck. But any year I don't get a deer is just fine with me. Most of all I just enjoy being out in the woods with good company.

Comment

Depends on the man. Those who enjoy the outdoors and the hunt never have a bad day. Those who are overly trophy obsessed are sometimes, but not always, of a different mindset. I took my first nice buck last year on the opener. That was great. I spent 2 hours that evening tracking a party member and his doe over the mountain in thick laurel alone in the dark with a rather feeble wind-up flashlight that I grabbed just in case after leaving my other equipment back in camp. Had figured I'd meet him coming out from his stand. His flash had died on the trail and he was apparently working off of it's small strobe setting once it got dark. Catching up to him after follwing a trail which had my crawling through the brush repeatedly I considered an accomplishment and one of the more interesting times I've spent in the woods.

Comment

people hunt because we have things called DNA inside us. We are the top predator in this world we just forget that thought sometimes until we go out hunting then our body,emotion & spirt reminds you this is where you came from & this is what you do best this is what you turn to if all else fails!

Comment

I live to hunt, sounds cliche but it is true, ever since I was young it was my dream, all I ever aspired to be was a hunter. I enjoy every moment ,pouring rain, freezing cold, except those damn mosquitos. Thank God for bug spray. If I feel the need to get closer to God I hunt, it doesn't matter if I kill or not. I feel the master at work in every moment I am out there. Matching wits with a big buck is great but it is so much more than that....

Comment

At age 40 I just shot my first deer this year. I've been a serious hunter for only four years, but just always loved the adventure about it. I have had at least one good opportunity each year and I find nothing else in life can match that adrenaline. So this year I bagged a 12pt buck and now I find my obsession X 1000!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    Today, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X