Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT IS BETTER FOR HUNTING WHITETAIL, IN A HEAVLY WOODED AREA WITH UNDERBRUSH. AN FAST EXPANDING BULLET OR A HEAVY ONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT IS BETTER FOR HUNTING WHITETAIL, IN A HEAVLY WOODED AREA WITH UNDERBRUSH. AN FAST EXPANDING BULLET OR A HEAVY ONE?

WHAT IS BETTER FOR HUNTING WHITETAIL, IN A HEAVLY WOODED AREA WITH UNDERBRUSH. AN FAST EXPANDING BULLET OR A HEAVY ONE?

a heavy one cause it will break throw the brush unlike a light one it will deflect off brush throwing your shot off

Comment

I can't say for certain from my own experience as I have never resorted to a slow moving heavy round in the bush. Those who know better than me say that the heavy bullet has a better chance to bully its way to the intended target. That makes sense to me. I would imagine that approach comes by way of many guys learning the hard way that fast and light can fail you in the bush.
      The closer the point of deflection is to the target likely increases the chances of the bullet striking home. A 25-06 firing a 120 gr bullet might blow through a 4 inch branch with enough energy to put down the deer standing 5 feet behind that branch. However, I would agree that bigger is better in such a circumstance.

Comment

the heavy round nosed will work the best, it's still best not to take the shot if you see brush. Too many deer end up wounded from ify brush shots.

Comment

Originally posted by duck101 View Post
          a heavy one cause it will break throw the brush unlike a light one it will deflect off brush throwing your shot off
          Yep, that has been my experience

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
            I can't say for certain from my own experience as I have never resorted to a slow moving heavy round in the bush. Those who know better than me say that the heavy bullet has a better chance to bully its way to the intended target. That makes sense to me. I would imagine that approach comes by way of many guys learning the hard way that fast and light can fail you in the bush.
            The closer the point of deflection is to the target likely increases the chances of the bullet striking home. A 25-06 firing a 120 gr bullet might blow through a 4 inch branch with enough energy to put down the deer standing 5 feet behind that branch. However, I would agree that bigger is better in such a circumstance.
            Kody, That's my conclusion as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgull View Post
              the heavy round nosed will work the best, it's still best not to take the shot if you see brush. Too many deer end up wounded from ify brush shots.
              Yep, it's obviously better to not shoot through brush.

Comment

Treestand, I'm also with those saying that a slow, heavy bullet will have less deflection in brush. Nonetheless, there will be deflection no matter what.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Treestand, I'm also with those saying that a slow, heavy bullet will have less deflection in brush. Nonetheless, there will be deflection no matter what.
                  A deer owed it's life to that twig deflecting my arrow

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X