Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several days ago, while hunting in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan my father saw four different small bucks, at different times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several days ago, while hunting in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan my father saw four different small bucks, at different times

Several days ago, while hunting in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan my father saw four different small bucks, at different times of the days running full speed down a creek that runs past his blind. It's not strange to see deer running during rifle season, but he's never seen deer do this before. He said they just ran and ran as far as he could see, which is about a mile, without stopping, they didnt apear to be on a doe and we're both wondering what would cause them to do this.

There could be several reasons--my guess would be that predators have caused these bucks to vacate the area.Most of us have had the experience of jumping or spooking deer and in many cases deer will look back to gauge danger after they have established a comfortable and safe distance if only for a second or two.The bucks that are clearing out have made the decision to "bug out" big time and have exhibited a level of fear.I have bow hunted for many years and have had the opportunity to witness a doe and twin fawns walk down the middle of a creek some 70 yards before bedding down.This was in a area that was heavily populated with wolves.So by navigating the creek for such a distance it was an attempt to disperse scent in the water.The experience of watching four bucks do this in a period of time is one of those added bonuses that sometimes remind even me; that it is not only just about he hunt when we all go afield.

Comment

deer will run until they have put danger far enough behind to be fairly safe. it's possible that if something was chasing them, it was not giving up the chase and they had to keep running.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget