Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a store bought deer urine or scent go bad? If so how long will it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a store bought deer urine or scent go bad? If so how long will it take?

Can a store bought deer urine or scent go bad? If so how long will it take?

yup, they sure do go bad and I would say they are generally no as effective, and maybe even no good, after just a few week of being out of the animal they were taken from. They have organic compounds in them like hormones, fats and pheromones that animals use to communicate their sex, age and even condition to each other. If the substances are that specific, you bet they are temporary in nature. Visit us at http://CreatingTheLuck.com for hunting fitness info!

Comment

On the subject of urine!!! If you were to tell a hunter of old that you were purchasing deer urine in order to get a shot at a deer they would have told the story at the local bar and gotten plenty of laughs at your expense. They would probably have mustered a free round of drinks for the telling. Yes, you and many other hunters are buying deer piss, I mean deer urine, to trick those wily critters into range. While you and many other are good consumers put your hard earned dollars out for deer 'urine', those of us who have managed to fill our tags year in and year out with the occasional giant buck in the mix will continue to move with stealth, watch the wind and fire our rifles quickly and accurately. Trust me, while you are distracted by the toys of the sport, the deer of your dreams is slipping by. There is no substitute for getting the rifle to your shoulder and firing the gun in the few seconds available to you. Buck fever is more subtle than a hunter shaking at the sight of a deer, it is also being too stunned to quickly get the gun to your shoulder and get the shot off quickly. Having screwed it up on numerous occasions I can tell you that it is better to get the shot off and miss than not to have had it together enough to have fired at all!

Comment

Well I have to disagree with you on store bought urine being ineffective. As far as how long they last, this I'm not sure of. Buck bomb makes a scent with a protectant in it to preserve the urine. Scent is a combination of several proteins interacting with excreted chemicals in urine. There are also many enzymes in urine which have the net effect of degrading the proteins that comprise the scent package. Scent Protect deactivates 31 different enzyme systems protecting the proteins and allowing the scent to remain potent and viable for extended periods of time.

Additionally the scent package is affected by a change in Ph of the animal urine due to break down products in the urine and either primary or secondary contamination of the urine by bacteria. Scent Protect TM stops bacteria growth and as the bacteria die the active chemistry inactivates the enzymes contained in the bacteria and stabilizes the Ph factor in protecting the scent package.

Here in the northeast two days ago, last day of archery only season, I used a estrous scent and brought in a curious spike. He had his nose to the ground coming right up the scent line I put down. He was 15 feet from my stand and I let him go.

Comment

Store-bought products can be effective, and can last for well into the next year's season if the product stays refrigerated.

Comment

@Kody, I am sure you have bagged your share of "big" bucks, given that "big" is a subjective thing, but in ARCHERY it is a very important issue to have scent to help mask you slip into bow range which most rifle hunters only get to in the zoo.
            Along with camoflage and sharpening your broadheads, you have to round out your preparedness with scent. Sorry Kody, but the piss you spill on yourself after you have too many drinks at the bar won't cut it in the field.

Comment

I have always wondered how fresh store bought urines really are. You just don't know if the retailer is putting out un sold urine from the year before or even the previous year. I like to use fresh urine from a deer farm. If you sqeeze the air out of the bottle and place it in the refrigerator after each hunt it will probably last the whole season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                Yesterday, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
              • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                by Ernie
                I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X