Shack revamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shack revamp

After shooting this morning I started reorganizing stuff in the man cave but soon decided it was too nice out to waste the day inside. The Kid had another graduation party to attend so I asked my daughter if she was interested in helping me work on the shack. She agreed so we loaded up some tools and what little scrap lumber I have left and headed back up.

The shack held up good over the winter. The only issue was at some point an outer window pane of the repurposed widow I used broke. Most likely something shifted and I had it nailed in too tight but maybe a bird or something hit it. I’d spay painted the glass and had a burlap cover on the inside to prevent that but who knows. The only other issue we’d had was deer cruising behind it with no shooting window out of the back.

First thing we did was to pull a couple of the boards off the back and cut them down to make an opening. Then we framed it out to allow a piece of plywood to be slid up and down for just enough room to watch and shoot out of.

52A428EB-6CAF-4BB0-8BF9-6F3D2206F3FB.jpg

Next we dove into the bigger project. I pulled the boards off so we could remove the broken window then started piecing in what materials I had left. Unfortunately the three longer sections of deck boards I had left were a hair short to tack in even with the others but they were long enough to reach side to side. The one piece of plywood I had was smaller than the broken window so I had to frame out the sides of the opening with a piece of 2x4 and a 2x6 to patch it in. Problem was with the materials I had left there wasn’t a good way to hold the plywood in where it wouldn’t slide out of the bottom. The answer to that was to simply attach a couple of 2x2’s over the outside. It actually works quite well despite how it looks. It it’s not fixed, it slides up and down as well.

CBBAF9A4-CE9F-4E76-9EA6-DB2426A89BE5.jpg

The remainder of my lumber supply fits in the back of the buggy. Most isn’t worth reusing for anything at this point.

924C0224-6155-48D1-B881-61C6CC9922B2.jpg

I’ll add grab handles to the plywood windows to aid in raising them, other than that there’s not much left to redesign. I’d tacked up some cardboard on the inside back wall to cut down on light getting in and to help stop drafts but my father in law has offered to give me a few rolls of tar paper he has kicking around. I think I’ll staple it inside between the studs on all four walls then wad cardboard in behind as well.

The last thing will be to get some sealer on the outside. I’d picked up a gallon of Cabot stain from Lowes a couple years ago for $9, one of the mistinted mistakes they discount. It’s natural wood color so should blend in ok.

Found out in a letter today that the Kid has to move in to college on August 22’nd. A couple days sooner than we expected. Five weeks…….
    Last edited by fitch270; 07-16-2022, 10:57 PM.

Not much but shooting a big buck better than spending a pretty day outdoors patching up and improving a "Shootin' Shack"!

Lookin' good!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Not much but shooting a big buck better than spending a pretty day outdoors patching up and improving a "Shootin' Shack"!

Lookin' good!
      Trying to involve my daughter more as well. After watching her pass up an easy shot on the jakes this spring I want to be sure her confidence is built back up. Any time spent together like this should help get her mind back in the game.

That shack ain’t pretty but it’s comfortable and solid. Best part is I don’t think I have much over $40 in it. The only thing I’ve had to buy were deck screws.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Trying to involve my daughter more as well. After watching her pass up an easy shot on the jakes this spring I want to be sure her confidence is built back up. Any time spent together like this should help get her mind back in the game.

That shack ain’t pretty but it’s comfortable and solid. Best part is I don’t think I have much over $40 in it. The only thing I’ve had to buy were deck screws.
        Jiminy cat-whiskers!
        Those stinking deck screws ain't cheap anymore! 😳
        ...and spending time with "the other kid" is always a blessing! 😉
        I've got "some" material. I need to build me another box blind.......but it's going to have to cool off some!
        My tomatoes are blooming like crazy, but with daytime highs over 100°, they won't set fruit.
        Peppers, squash and okra aren't producing either.
        Our yard crunches when you walk across it! LOL!

Comment

I guess my pal and I are looking at prefab blinds/houses. The landowner says he'll put in up to $2,000 apiece if we will put them off the ground on raised platforms. Trying to decide between a recliner or just an oversized chair. The choice might just make or break the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            I guess my pal and I are looking at prefab blinds/houses. The landowner says he'll put in up to $2,000 apiece if we will put them off the ground on raised platforms. Trying to decide between a recliner or just an oversized chair. The choice might just make or break the hunt.
            Geez, dewman! I put a recliner in my box blind and I'd NEVER kill a deer! LOL! 😴

A comfortable chair is essential to comfort. Comfort is essential to staying on stand for an extended length of time.
            A box blind should be "comfortable". Not "luxurious"! 😉

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Eatin ‘chuck
              by dewman
              Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
              Today, 07:19 PM
            • Parallax adj
              by CD2
              Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
              08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
            • TriggerTech installed
              by fitch270
              First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
              08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
            • Aquila ammo test
              by dewman
              Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
              Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
              08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
            • Show and Tell
              by Amflyer
              Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
              08-04-2022, 07:23 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X