Antler shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antler shed

I've been watching a cut over soy bean field in the evenings. 10 or more doe and some two year old bucks,with an older buck. Looks like a big 8,hard to tell from three hundred yards . Something unusual I never seen before as the seasons are over and I believe the bucks due to start dropping antlers. Anyway I watched as the older buck appeared to be licking the head of a bald headed deer, maybe a doe,but Im thinking it's the raw pedicles of a younger buck.Ive heard of doe consuming after birth and bucks eating their own velvet. This is a first for me so just wondering if any one else has heard or seen this? They do natural things for a reason so just trying to figure it out.

Google says something about patterns of dominance exhibited by grooming, or parasite removal. Maybe that? Likely the dominance thing, I would think?

Comment

Comment

Gonna go out and try to find these sheds when my back heals up. Slipped on the ice, didnt fall, but am kinda screwed up for a couple days

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post

Definitely let us know if you score on these.

We have a couple cold days ahead but no snow forecasted then another warm up. It should clear most of the upper meadow where the sun hits, the Kid will be looking for sure.

Comment

Havent gotten out of house yet.
            Got the Covid and did my 10 days, seemed to be OK but things went crappy. Just been laying around trying to heal up.

Comment

Havent gotten out of house yet.
              Got the Covid and did my 10 days, seemed to be OK but things went crappy. Just been laying around trying to heal up.
              Saw that elsewhere, hope things are improving.

Comment

Thanks. Still having some annoying after effects.
                Just not quite up to speed for outdoor jaunts.

Temps up, suspect my thicket low area under water.
                Melt should be gone and next weekend put on the rubber boots and start looking for sheds.

Anybody finding any?

Comment

The guy I hunt on walked his fence line yesterday and found one (3points) from probably a 2-1/2 yr old. Didn't find the other. Had a dozen or so bucks on cams all season and they only jump that fence right there so I figured he'd find more. Oh well, maybe later on.
                  Sister had Covid and she was dizzy standing after she "got well" for close to 4 MONTHS.

Comment

I haven’t had a chance or the ambition to get out lately. Besides we just got hit with another storm that dropped enough snow to cover everything until it warms up again. Not that I’ll find any but the Kid has picked up one or two the past several springs.

Comment

I went squirrel hunting Saturday afternoon to a small valley where I'd shot a doe a couple months ago. The new CZ 12 gauge was in my hands loaded with high brass #6's and the suppressed Ruger MK III was on my hip. The squirrels were covering me up during deer season but I didn't see any that day.

The CZ carries well and so far I like it. The only issue is the sharp corners at the receiver end of the synthetic forearm. I'm going to use the Dremel to round those before taking it out again.

The temp was comfortable in the 50's. We'll be in the upper 70's this coming weekend.

Comment

Im extra dizzy as ive been trying to get better wheels Is NOT the time to buy a used vehicle.

My Jeep is worn out and w bad shoulder I cant wrench anymore so gonna have to bite the bullet.

New trucks are insanely priced.

Too bad the Suzuki Jimny isnt available here

Comment

Im extra dizzy as ive been trying to get better wheels Is NOT the time to buy a used vehicle.

My Jeep is worn out and w bad shoulder I cant wrench anymore so gonna have to bite the bullet.

New trucks are insanely priced.

Too bad the Suzuki Jimny isnt available here
                          Have you driven the new Ford Ranger?

Comment

We’re having a bit of a dilemma with the Kid’s truck, it’s an ‘04 GMC Sierra 4x4 step side with under 34k miles on it. It needed some front brake work when we got it from one of my accounts. One of those “you can have it if you get it off my lawn” deals. The thing runs perfect and is tight as can be, problem is the undercarriage is starting to have some rust issues. The body itself looks very good but it won’t be long before it doesn’t. The other problem is it only gets about 14mpg and he’ll be going to college this fall over 3 hours away. We could likely get 5-6 times what we have in it but replacing it will be a gamble as well. When the weather gets better we’ll likely test the waters and go from there.

Thing is the Kid learned how to drive a stick with it and after almost a year and a half has gotten quite attached to the rig. It’s an awesome truck, too bad the road salt around here eats vehicles up from the bottom out.

Comment

I was interested in the new Ford pickup and thought the Hyundai Santa Cruz ( kinda like the Subaru Baja ) looked cool.

Unfortunately I went by the dealership and they had a rebate on a cheap 4x4 on the lot. So, now drive a spaghetti Jeep.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget