What do you know about BuckFever?What

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know about BuckFever?What

What do you know about Buck Fever? Have you ever had it? How do you get rid of it? How long does it last ? Is. There any stories you heard how to rid your self from it? Is it true every big buck missed was a world record? Maybe ,I personally have narrowly missed 3 world records my self,but that fever struck every time. Has it ever happened to someone you knew or maybe even you?

I can't remember it happening to me but I'm sure when I was younger it probably did. The times I seen or heard about it happening to others it wasn't due to antler size. Fact is I've seen it with does and small game as well. Being suddenly surprised seems to be the common factor. Getting a mental picture of how a hunt is going to play out and then having a deer not read the script. If we don't see our target standing still broadside in the open it seems to be more than some can handle. I've no clue how to fix it.

Comment

What do you know about Buck Fever? Have you ever had it?
      Yes sir I've had it and know it well.

How do you get rid of it?
      The only way I know is to be as prepared as possible and have confidence in your equipment and abilities.

How long does it last?
      Dang, it varies, sometimes it goes away in a few seconds or last long enough to still be shaky 30 minutes.

Is. There any stories you heard how to rid your self from it?
      Never heard of any but I'm betting Happy Myles would know.

Is it true every big buck missed was a world record? Maybe ,I personally have narrowly missed 3 world records my self,but that fever struck every time. Has it ever happened to someone you knew or maybe even you?
      I've only missed one trophy buck and am ashamed to say it was a close shot that I rushed because of the excitement. I've missed a doe and a pig the same way.

I am proud to say though that there was no buck fever when I took my largest buck (Kentucky). Calmly brought the .308 to my shoulder in a standing, unsupported stance, then aimed and squeezed the trigger.

Usually I have almost no buck fever if there are only seconds to shoot. It gets worse as time increases.

Comment

I always get jacked up to some extent, like PH said it’s usually not as bad when things happen quick and I don’t have time to think about it. Where it’s usually bit me are the easier shots where you think you have him down before you pull the trigger and you get sloppy. I hate that.

Comment

I'm well aquatinted to the buck fever malady. Slowly sometimes at first before you realize the dryness of the mouth,and the sudden shaking quivers in your body. Next the increase of the heart beat wanting to crawl up your throat. The sense of urgency as you try to focus on the situation and try to determine your best choice. Time seems to stand still knowing that time can also work against you. Then comes the moment that's an accumulation of all the effort that has brought you to this point. Usually after the shot the fever takes full hold ,shaking the body and the mind. Doubt arises As you walk over to the last sighting , Is it over or has another chapter if tracking going to come into play? I've been hunting many many years and this fever still resides within me.
          This scenario played out just this past season,a thrill and a fever I hope to never find the cure. 6phunter

Comment

Time, experience and age.

In my youth, it was a race to get a shot before the deer disappeared.
            One thing that helped me was hunting an area with a heavy deer population. If one got away, so what?
            Now I can sit and watch a deer until I get the range and shot I prefer.

When I no longer experience that "rush" when a deer comes into view, I'll sit at home and drink coffee. 🙂

Comment

Well, I am glad to see that I am normal, and that all the shaking that goes on is in line with others. I had thoughts that maybe I was a damn wuss and not able to tell stories of failure when game put me on wobbly knees ! Excitement needs to be at a very high intense pitch in order to make one feel unable to even breath, but if it were not for that feeling, why would one even be there, shaking like a dog pooping razor blades, if it were not for ‘buck fever’ Heaven help us if a cure is ever found, and a curse on the one who finds it. The only way I guess not to have the ‘shakes’ is to never leave the living room with the purpose of hunting. I remember the first elk I ever shot with a bow, it was a hour before I could even get a word to come out in my attempt to tell the story. Buck fever.........may it live forever in our shaking bodies and numbed brains !!

Comment

Bhr, when a deer of any size, gender or rack size pops into view at 5 yards or 500 yards, I personally get that rush. 🤯!

Comment

At the ripe old age of twelve I was already a veteran deer hunter with high trophy expectations having only seen one hung on a game pole. My father ,an expert shot that I thought never missed. He sat me down under a pine tree with low over hanging limbs one frosty morning and ambled down the trail that led over the hill out of sight. It wasn't long before I see a young deer come bounding into the clearing maybe 30 yards in front of me. I knew I wasn't going to shoot,but the excitement was already rising from within my chest. I wished a bigger one would show up and sure enough within seconds another larger deer followed. A hundred heart beats rose up in me. Before I could wish again a third one arrived,much larger and yes he had antlers,long ,high and sparkling with frost. He turned his head and I can still see the width of his headgear . I only remember the loud click as the old single barrel tried to select a target,all I could see where points everywhere. He sprang either at the sound or movement as I shot and over the hill and down the same trail my father took he went. I missed ,I couldn't believe it after all the practice hitting pie pans he never flinched. I don't remember seeing where the other deer went,I was frantic wishing I could do it all over. Then I heard the SHOT. Only one and it came from the direction of my father . I sat down on a log n total bewildered disbelief in what had just occurred ,tears selling up in my eyes and rolling down my cheeks. Then as I looked up seeing my father approach it somehow made it worse. He asked ,well what did you get? To much emotion overflowed and I mumbled ,I missed,and it was a big buck. Then he just smiled and said scoot over and let cry with you. I missed him too. I'll always remember the buck and the fever that went along that morning. I'll also remember how it cemented a relationship that last forever.,

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                    At the ripe old age of twelve I was already a veteran deer hunter with high trophy expectations having only seen one hung on a game pole. My father ,an expert shot that I thought never missed. He sat me down under a pine tree with low over hanging limbs one frosty morning and ambled down the trail that led over the hill out of sight. It wasn't long before I see a young deer come bounding into the clearing maybe 30 yards in front of me. I knew I wasn't going to shoot,but the excitement was already rising from within my chest. I wished a bigger one would show up and sure enough within seconds another larger deer followed. A hundred heart beats rose up in me. Before I could wish again a third one arrived,much larger and yes he had antlers,long ,high and sparkling with frost. He turned his head and I can still see the width of his headgear . I only remember the loud click as the old single barrel tried to select a target,all I could see where points everywhere. He sprang either at the sound or movement as I shot and over the hill and down the same trail my father took he went. I missed ,I couldn't believe it after all the practice hitting pie pans he never flinched. I don't remember seeing where the other deer went,I was frantic wishing I could do it all over. Then I heard the SHOT. Only one and it came from the direction of my father . I sat down on a log n total bewildered disbelief in what had just occurred ,tears selling up in my eyes and rolling down my cheeks. Then as I looked up seeing my father approach it somehow made it worse. He asked ,well what did you get? To much emotion overflowed and I mumbled ,I missed,and it was a big buck. Then he just smiled and said scoot over and let cry with you. I missed him too. I'll always remember the buck and the fever that went along that morning. I'll also remember how it cemented a relationship that last forever.,
                    A fine story 6phunter, one that brought a smile, both to my face and heart !

Comment

Where I hunt deer, you don't generally get very long to get The Fever. I've taken a few hunts elsewhere that were not that way, and I would try to talk myself into calming down by saying "I am NOT going to shoot this animal..." Then, when setting up for the shot, I would tell myself, "Well, I'll get ready, but..." You get the picture. I would do this all the way up until I pulled the trigger, telling myself that I would take the next "step," but that it would never come to the point that I took the shot.

I really felt that this was a novel and interesting method of fighting performance anxiety in hunting. I even considered writing it up as a article and marketing it to the outdoor rags.

I think the only reason that I didn't follow through on that article...was the fact that the method didn't work in the slightest. Still got the adrenaline rush, etc. No effect.

Other than that, it was great.

Comment

Hey, amflyer!

Yes sir. I've done that too. It helps.
                        Kind of a way to talk yourself through the process.

Comment

How about the times when you get a great look but don’t have a shot opportunity? Talk about a buzz kill. I’m still haunted by that ten point from Halloween eve 2020.

‘flyer, I’m picturing you at the final moment;

“I’m not going to pull the trigger…..”

Kaboom!!!!!!

Holding up index finger

“Dammit, you never listen!”
                          ​​

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                            H

‘flyer, I’m picturing you at the final moment;

​​
                            So I guess the fact that I hunt in nothing more than a pair of hand-tooled western boots and a red bandana (and nothing else) isn't a secret anymore.

(Wow, that got weird fast.)

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

So I guess the fact that I hunt in nothing more than a pair of hand-tooled western boots and a red bandana (and nothing else) isn't a secret anymore.

(Wow, that got weird fast.)
                              I've killed squirrels in the yard with just a robe on and nothing else but the boys stay covered in the woods. Too many briars, just saying...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                              • Show and Tell
                                by Amflyer
                                Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                              • College Orientation News
                                by fitch270
                                Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X