Deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer hunting

I've been thinking back to how deer hunting was as a boy and how much things have changed. First I'd like to emphasize that no matter your style of choice there's no wrong way to hunt as long as it's legal. Getting back to my thoughts though is how long ago before you could actually hunt you first had to find deer,and just finding a track was your first clue. Deer we're scarce in the early sixties in most places definitely in rural Kentucky when I started out. Not much was known about them ,other than sometimes you might glimpse a flash of a tail.All the things that nowadays are common,were unheard of back then. Simple things like camouflage,hunter orange ,rifled barreled shotguns. The list is endless and keeps getting longer all the time,you would need a semi truck to haul everything to add an advantage to hunting.I suppose old ways of hunting have been replaced with shooting houses and baited fields and cameras that log a deers time of use.Sometimes I just walk the woods wondering if this new technology hasn't caused a disconnection with todays hunters and the lore of hunting its self.

There are several key changes to deer hunting you have to consider that are non gear related, such as-----
    1. Time. Most people today have far less time to hunt, let alone scout. In today's workplace the word "weekend" has almost been erased. We are more mobile hence more social destinations are within our grasp as well. The patience to sit on stand (or to move) when time is limited can be nerve racking and fewer people can unwind enough to just enjoy being out there.
    2. Reward. Now that deer numbers have bloomed to where seeing one is common year round, hunters go into the woods expecting to get "their" deer. They almost demand one for the time and money, no matter how much or how little, they invest.
    3. Place. Lets face it, yesterday's pastures and woodlots are today's subdivisions. No trespassing signs abound. Leases and the fear of lawsuits, sometimes even overcrowding, have shrunk a persons hunting turf. Factor in "big buck fever" which closes out thousands of private acres to any small game hunting by anybody and you've shrunk the available resource more.
    4. Health. Hunters are getting older and in generally poorer health. I'm an expert on this.
    Even with all these limitations I manage to get out quite a bit still. I know I'm going to get a chance at deer with a rifle where I hunt so I don't bow hunt. I dove& squirrel hunt with a few forays after other game from time to time, but I'm lucky to be able to. Many aren't.
    5. Knowledge. If you've hunted the same area year after year you don't have to wander around looking for sign. Deer are fairly predictable so after a few years you know where to set up. Of course sometimes things change and then scouting is essential.
    Is there disconnect? For some sure. Some never had it to begin with as well. Some will never lose it. We are humans, things change, we change, always been that way, always will be.
    Last edited by dewman; 01-21-2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply ,well thought and written.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
        Thanks for your reply ,well thought and written.
        Thank you sir

Comment

It’s hard to tell what the next generations will do. My son used to spend hours looking at the hardcover Cabela’s catalogs but now that he’s coming into his own he doesn’t have much use for gimmicky stuff. He’s becoming much like my late 20’s brother in law, more of a minimalist but drawn towards high quality where he can. It’s not a bad thing at all.

Comment

Sometime I hunt very old school close and personal. In Wyoming, baiting is illegal, and I have never owned a game camera.
            Other times I have the capability to stretch things out a bit.
            I embrace change, but I hunt the way I want, which changes, depending on my mood and the terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              It’s hard to tell what the next generations will do. My son used to spend hours looking at the hardcover Cabela’s catalogs but now that he’s coming into his own he doesn’t have much use for gimmicky stuff. He’s becoming much like my late 20’s brother in law, more of a minimalist but drawn towards high quality where he can. It’s not a bad thing at all.
              Sometimes it's hard to separate the gimcracks from the innovations.
              My turkey hunting vest used to weigh about 30 pounds! It's been pared down tremendously! LOL!

At some point, you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth the extra effort and weight?"
              Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-27-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget