Late Season Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Season Benefits

Now that the crowds have gone home and cold weather dominates maybe the best time to score on next year's buck. As a boy I used this season to track in the snow , sometimes following up the next day. I never caught up to those deer but I learned how they traveled and bedded using wind and points to advantage. I found an opportunity to ambush these deer by back tracking and setting up accordingly. Preparedness never starts to early. 6phunter

Hey I remember you! Welcome back. Used to winter scout heavy myself but where I hunt now the "no trespassing" signs keep me boxed in. But on the bright side no one hunts within a 1/2 mile of me and even then I'd say it's maybe 3 guys tops.
    stay safe, aim small

Comment

6phunter, great to see you post! It's been a while.

Here in Central Alabama, there's no snow for tracking and deer season runs through February 10th. But squirrel season runs for another month after that. Deer travel patterns can be figured out while in the woods hunting squirrels before the Spring foliage emerges..

Comment

After 3 months I, and likely the deer, could use a break. Next year will be what it is, and that’s ok with me.

Good to see some old blood check in. Place can use all the help it can get.

Comment

Hey 6phunter! Great to hear (see?) from you again! 😃

I'm like dewman, property size pretty much keeps me hemmed in. I still only hunt private property.
          Our "scouting" normally means checking "known" game trails to be certain they're still active.
          My few areas get a lot of "pass through" traffic that doesn't follow established trails.
          So it's watch trails and watch other areas when not watching trails.

Comment

Ty ,Gents,for making me feel at home.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget