Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

That's my load too, except I use 100 grains of loose 777
    There is VAST difference between two 777 pellets and 100 grains of loose 777.

A friend and me both shoot T/C Omega Z5 inlines.
    He shoots two 777 pellets. I shoot 90 grains loose 777.
    The difference in the report from the two identical rifles is clearly evident.
    My 90 grain load of 777 is much louder and much sharper.
    Maximum load of 777 pellets is three 50 grain pellets.
    Maximum load of loose 777 is 120 grains by volume.

I'd venture a guess that one fifty grain 777 pellet equals approximately 40 (+/-) grains of loose powder.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

There is VAST difference between two 777 pellets and 100 grains of loose 777.

A friend and me both shoot T/C Omega Z5 inlines.
      He shoots two 777 pellets. I shoot 90 grains loose 777.
      The difference in the report from the two identical rifles is clearly evident.
      My 90 grain load of 777 is much louder and much sharper.
      Maximum load of 777 pellets is three 50 grain pellets.
      Maximum load of loose 777 is 120 grains by volume.

I'd venture a guess that one fifty grain 777 pellet equals approximately 40 (+/-) grains of loose powder.
      I’ve read exactly this, it has something to do with the way the pellets are compacted and also the igniter end of them. I settled on 80gr of loose Pyrodex in my Huntsman and it worked well. That’s why I started with 80gr of Blackhorn 209 but still need to fine tune some.

Comment

Loose 777 is +15% over 777 pellets. Loose supposedly puts velocity/ accuracy/ energy in the sweet spot for a 1:28 twist. Still waiting for a single deer to confirm. Between friends/family/myself it is a rather large sample size that tells me me not to overthink it.

Comment

Interesting information guys. I went from Pyrodex pellets to loose 777 because of an ignition failure in my CVA Electra. It's been 100% reliable since. Didn't notice any change in accuracy but of course there was a point of impact change

Comment

Most of the folks I know that shoot pellets, use them for convenience sake.
            Even I will admit that the pellets are much.more conveniconvenient, but I still prefer loose powder.

Lots of folks don't understand the difference between black powder and smokeless powder.
            The "biggest" difference is that smokeless powder "burns". Black powder "detonates"!

I wonder if pelletizing Triple 7 makes it act more like smokeless powder? Burning rather than detonating?

Comment

Another survivor. IMG_2692.jpg Good to know there's some more out there for next year......Yet another IMG_2693.jpg
              Last edited by dewman; 01-06-2022, 08:42 PM.

Comment

My weekend hunting is cancelled. The girlfriend's kids are staying with their dad on Friday and Saturday nights. Got to apologize to the Ruger once again for leaving it in the safe. I guess the rut affects me too...

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  My weekend hunting is cancelled. The girlfriend's kids are staying with their dad on Friday and Saturday nights. Got to apologize to the Ruger once again for leaving it in the safe. I guess the rut affects me too...
                  Huh? What is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

Huh? What is going on?
                    Got a high maintenance wife and much younger girlfriend with no time for hunting. Never thought I'd be in this situation during the season but didn't want to pass up the opportunity... Probably shouldn't have mentioned it

Comment

Oops! Good luck with that one…

Comment

Originally posted by pighunter View Post

got a high maintenance wife and much younger girlfriend with no time for hunting. Never thought i'd be in this situation during the season but didn't want to pass up the opportunity... Probably shouldn't have mentioned it
                        tmi!! Tmi!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget