Rimfire deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    I frequent a couple of busy shops and work with a bunch of gun nuts.
    Many are thinking of going subsonic in .300 Blackout......they talk about it anyway.
    Even guys behind the counter.

While legal, I just don't think subsonic is the way to go.

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, I think pighunter said he lost a deer shooting a subsonic .300 BO.

If you still hang with some gin nuts, tell me, is the .300 BO that much better than the old .30-30?
    I've had guys tell me they consistently kill deer at 300 to 400 yards with their .300 BO. I may be wrong, but that seems a bit farfetched to me.

I did know one kid who never shot anything but a Marlin 336 in .30-30 that killed deer further than I thought possible with a .30-30! But he burned through .30-30 ammo like it was $5/brick .22 ammo! Loved to shoot and shoot he did! A deer at 400 yards was not safe from his .30-30! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
      I frequent a couple of busy shops and work with a bunch of gun nuts.
      Many are thinking of going subsonic in .300 Blackout......they talk about it anyway.
      Even guys behind the counter.

While legal, I just don't think subsonic is the way to go.
      It's interesting you mention the .300 Blackout. With it I've killed 4 deer, two with supersonic and two with subsonic. Had a fifth run off with a subsonic shot to the shoulder. The 4 killed were all with neck shots. The suppressed subsonics are quiet enough that hearing protection isn't needed.

For the subsonic, I used the 190gr Hornady factory load. The last doe I shot was hit in the neck and the bullet stopped on the one of the vertebra, photo below. The expansion was pretty good, no complaints. But she was only paralyzed and I had to finish her off.

I'm no longer using the .300 BO for deer hunting. Maybe I'll use it on pigs and if so, it will be with supersonic 110gr or 120gr bullets.

20200203_164903.jpg

Comment

"... If silence was critical, the crossbow would be my choice ..."

Yes sir! Or just a bow. A crossbow, in my mind, would be a bit bulky. Neither archery method is going to offer the immediate drop of a well placed shot. Even a .22 rimfire.

IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          "... If silence was critical, the crossbow would be my choice ..."

Yes sir! Or just a bow. A crossbow, in my mind, would be a bit bulky. Neither archery method is going to offer the immediate drop of a well placed shot. Even a .22 rimfire.

IMO.
          I've used both vertical and horizontal bows. For just killing, the crossbow is superior from a blind - faster projectile, minimal practice required, better sighting method with scope, reduced movement if cocked and loaded before the deer arrives.

Comment

FYI the Missouri conservation commission uses this pic to illustrate a legal pistol for the alternative (muzzleloader, pellet gun, pistol, atl atl) season. Mentions the ok for braces specifically. IMG_2539.PNG

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              FYI the Missouri conservation commission uses this pic to illustrate a legal pistol for the alternative (muzzleloader, pellet gun, pistol, atl atl) season. Mentions the ok for braces specifically. IMG_2539.PNG
              Any limit on magazines?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Any limit on magazines?
                10 rds + 1 in chamber

Comment

Backing up to the OP, let’s say it was legal to use a .22lr for deer, what load would folks choose? Been thinking about it since my original answer.

Round nose or Hollow Point?

Standard, High, or Hyper Velocity?

Maybe hard cast if someone made such a thing.

Comment

It's kind of considered standard knowledge that Remington golden bullets mushroom the least, even in ice they are more prone to just kink a little as opposed to mushroom. Will easily shoot thru a deers skull, not unusual to get a double lung thru and thru either. My choice would probably be that route or possibly CCI mini mag(solid or hollow point)

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      It's kind of considered standard knowledge that Remington golden bullets mushroom the least, even in ice they are more prone to just kink a little as opposed to mushroom. Will easily shoot thru a deers skull, not unusual to get a double lung thru and thru either. My choice would probably be that route or possibly CCI mini mag(solid or hollow point)
                      Ditto, CCI mini mag

Comment

Remington "Golden" .22LR.
                        They perform excellent in every rimfire I own. AND.....I have nearly 5K rounds of the stuff! 😉

Comment

I didn’t know that about the Rem Goldens, but other than popping the occasional woodchuck I haven’t hunted much with .22’s. Raccoons out of trees back in the day. Often used .22 shorts for both. Haven’t been concerned with penetration on paper, lol.

Good to know guys, even if it is just hypothetical talk.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                            I didn’t know that about the Rem Goldens, but other than popping the occasional woodchuck I haven’t hunted much with .22’s. Raccoons out of trees back in the day. Often used .22 shorts for both. Haven’t been concerned with penetration on paper, lol.

Good to know guys, even if it is just hypothetical talk.
                            You asked about "max mag cap'y"!
                            In OK, AR mags are restricted to 5 rounds during any deer "GUN" season. Outside deer season, the sky's the limit.
                            Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-07-2021, 11:32 PM.

Comment

400 yds with a Marlin 30-30 is pure bull shit.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                                400 yds with a Marlin 30-30 is pure bull shit.
                                Why that's only 5-1/2 FEET of drop , assuming you are EXACTLY 400yds away. 2-1/2 FEET drift or more with a 10mph crosswind, assuming NO gusts or countercrosswinds. Hell, Hollywood does that with a pistol. From the hip no less.😉😜

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget