No announcement yet.

Rimfire deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Told you how they gave all of you nicknames. Now I'm getting a new one myself. "Dug" from the movie Up. Wonder why?🤔🙄

Comment

dewman, after long thought and careful consideration, if I could still "walk & stalk", and just wanted meat, I'd have a tack driving .22 Hornet and nothing but head shots.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        dewman, after long thought and careful consideration, if I could still "walk & stalk", and just wanted meat, I'd have a tack driving .22 Hornet and nothing but head shots.
        Pretty much how my old Scoutmaster used his .222, typically on bedded does.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          Just us guys. Now that it's actually hunting season, and many of us here are chasing different animals in different ways, we are checking in with each other about every night. Sometimes by phone sometimes in person. This has been an often recurring subject. Sometimes because of ammo availability, sometimes because of ammo price.
          Gotcha, can understand that.

Comment

I have a bolt action Marlin chambered for 22 MAG that is exceedingly accurate. The bullets hit like little grenades. Yet the largest game I've taken with this Marlin was a coyote, hit broadside at about 75 yards through the chest organs. The animal ran for about two bus lengths before toppling stone dead. Good performance! Given the proper angle, I'm certain that I could down a deer with my 22 MAG

But I obey the game laws and would never shoot a deer with this Marlin.
            TR.
            Last edited by T.R.; 10-06-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by T.R. View Post
              I have a bolt action Marlin chambered for 22 MAG that is exceedingly accurate. The bullets hit like little grenades. Yet the largest game I've taken with this Marlin was a coyote, hit broadside at about 75 yards through the chest organs. The animal ran for about two bus lengths before toppling stone dead. Good performance! Given the proper angle, I'm certain that I could down a deer with my 22 MAG

But I obey the game laws and would never shoot a deer with this Marlin.
              TR.
              Of course obey the law but clear up your answer if you would. Were it LEGAL, perhaps on private land only, would you hunt deer with your 22Mag? Given the high price and scarcity of centerfire shells.
              Also, welcome to the discussion. Glad to have new voices👍

Comment

T.R. - Welcome aboard! We always welcome new "friends"!

Marlin rifles have "microgroove" rifling. That's 16 lands and grooves and are known for their accuracy.
                I wouldn't consider your .22 Mag a "deer" rifle, but it would be a very effective "poaching" tool.
                Literally, about the only differences between a .22 Mag and a .22 Hornet is that the Hornet can be reloaded and is a little faster.

Comment

Not rimfire but........a "22" for deer

x223ds-boxshot-front-large.png

Comment

FP_P22250G_22250RemNoslerPartition_Combo_Rm.jpg

winchester-22-250-rem-64gr-power-point-ammo.jpg

Comment

Bullet selection, as with any cartridge, may allow for varied application.
                      Don't run varmint bullets in your deer rig. Seems simple enough.

Comment

Would I run a .22 CF or even RF if legal? Proly not.
                        I like to hunt, not kill.
                        So would like something with a bit of insurance.

I rather dislike head shooting critters. It just bothers me. Even on varmints. Odd maybe, even if the kill is instant, I find uglying the animal in such a manner as to be disrespectful.

So its shoulder or behind shoulder hits I prefer. Maybe a .22-250 w 64gr bullets works well like that.
                        I was not impressed w the .243 win on the one deer I shot through both lungs.

Think my .35 rem works a little better in the woods.

To each his own.
                        Last edited by CD2; 10-06-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I can shoot pretty good, and have enough experience afield to play it pretty cool.
                          However, in the real world variables exist.
                          Consequently, I would NOT set myself up w any cartridge that mandated ear hole usage.
                          Just because one can, doesn't automatically mean one should

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            Not rimfire but........a "22" for deer

x223ds-boxshot-front-large.png
                            CD2, the 5.56/.223 can, without a doubt, take down a man much larger than a deer and a buddy of mine started his 6 year old son with a .223. ...and I don't have to tell you why the .223 isn't really appropriate for deer.
                            Now, as a tool for a poacher? Yes siree! ...but the .223 is much too loud and draws too much attention. The .22 Hornet and .22 Mag, not so much.

My biggest problem with small bores and deer is the fact that WAY too many people want to start beginning hunters with a low recoil round, which is a good thing. But small bore rounds take extreme accuracy, a cool head and sound shot selection. That's something not all beginners possess.

There are way too many "light" calibers out there that are easy on beginners and much more appropriate for deer.

Comment

I frequent a couple of busy shops and work with a bunch of gun nuts.
                              Many are thinking of going subsonic in .300 Blackout......they talk about it anyway.
                              Even guys behind the counter.

While legal, I just don't think subsonic is the way to go.

Comment

I've never shot a deer with rimfire but have done so with pigs. Three different times with the .22lr and all ran off. One definite head shot but probably at the wrong angle and there was no penetration, just a couple drops of blood, no trail.

I've killed a small sow. It was a 40gr .22mag shot to the neck. I was aiming at the head as she trotted through the woods. The bullet entered just behind the jaw and she only traveled another 20 feet, bleeding out before I could walk up to the body.

I've seen pigs brought down by other hunters with head shots. One was a .22mag and the other a 17mag. Those young men said they were one shot kills.

I don't recommend rimfire for deer. But, I would use the .22mag if I did. If silence was critical, the crossbow would be my choice over a suppressed subsonic rimfire.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Birthday meal
                                  by Amflyer
                                  Oldest son turns 15 in a week or so. (Yeah, no outdoor stuff this year. He's getting a bass guitar. Bought himself a deer rifle after summer job anyway)...
                                  Yesterday, 02:16 PM
                                • ‘Twas the night before ….
                                  by fitch270
                                  the bow opener, and it’s chilli cook off night at church.

What could possibly go wrong?!?

😳🤢🙄

09-30-2022, 06:22 PM
                                • Deciding on Spot for First Day
                                  by wesman24
                                  Hello Everyone,

I currently have a spot set up on public land that is new to me this year. I did quite a bit of scouting in the area and...
                                  09-29-2022, 02:15 PM
                                • What now?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  PM'ing on another blog site with a gent.
                                  I had lamented the fact that I have 20 gauge and 12 gauge MEC 600Jr loaders, but only shoot 16 gauge....
                                  09-28-2022, 05:50 PM
                                • Counting down
                                  by fitch270
                                  We’ve had an early bear weekend already and squirrel season opened September 1’st but this Saturday morning is a big deal, most small game seasons...
                                  09-28-2022, 04:33 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X