Rimfire deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rimfire deer?

Ok here's the discussion happening around here. (Missouri) All centerfire pistol calibers are deer legal here. Yes that includes the 380, 25auto. Have been for years. 22 centerfire as well, even 22hornet, 218 Bee etc. Given the ammo shortage would you be in favor, on private land, of legalizing rimfire for deer? I ask you to think on this some, no knee jerk reactions please. Stay safe , aim small.IMG_2435.JPG DEER RIFLE? .

I just checked NY’s regulations on using handguns for big game and was surprised to see it’s any centerfire pistol or revolver as well, the only stipulation is the maximum barrel length is 16”. Last I remember it was .35 cal minimum and at least a 4” barrel, but that’s going back awhile. I could very well be mistaken as well, wasn’t something I followed much but as I’ve mentioned have a friend who used to hunt with a Contender in .35 Rem. One of the reasons was that he often hunted in a shotgun unit where handguns were allowed.

That said, I’d have a hard time getting behind rimfire use for deer. I get the limited ballistics of the small handgun rounds but have to think only a small number of folks would try that, and those folks would probably (hopefully?) be well knowledgeable as to their abilities.

Using rimfire, especially.22lr, would take a considerable amount of skill and knowledge to be cleanly effective. I’m thinking perfect headshot opportunities at very reasonable ranges. I’d also hazard a guess that standard velocity 40gr round nose bullets would be the most effective for penetration but can imagine folks thinking high or hyper velocity stuff would be better. I could be wrong about that but would worry the lighter hollow points coming apart too fast. Taking all that into consideration with the number of people who would try it I think it’s asking a bit much from our quarry.

Comment

First, let me assure you, I have a terminal case of OFS....so here goes.
      Sorry about the ammo shortage, but I don't think a .22 caliber "anything" should be legal for deer. Period. End of story.
      .244 caliber or larger
      ....and I have taken a deer with a .22 Hornet. A target of opportunity.
      I use a .22LR handgun to put down horses and cattle and any other livestock. A .22LR is a nasty little bullet....but livestock can be put into a "pick your shot" situation where a deer is a "take the shot you can get" type affair.
      An old friend, rest his soul, took a doe with a .22 pellet rifle. Fifteen feet and one pellet into the brain pan did the trick. But he knew "what" he had to do to accomplish his goal...and did it.
      You really have to be cold and calculating to be successful with small caliber rifles. Something beginning hunters can't always control.
      I absolutely despise the idea of a proficiency test.
      Eddie was 60 years old and had hunted his whole life. If Eddie saw a fawn, 400 yards away from his stand, he was a basket case. He occasionally killed a deer, but it was "luck", NOT skill! Nice guy. A butcher by trade. Could reduce a deer to a pile of steaks, roasts, chops and a perfect pile of clean, trimmed, grinder ready cubes in no time at all.

Back on target!

"NO!" to .22 caliber for deer.

Comment

Thought .22 -250 was popular deer round in Texas.
        But a good buck there proly weighs half of what one does here.

Rimfire? Dont think so. Dunno what the ballistics would be of the .17 supermag rimfire would be if they upped it to .22

Comment

Read someplace where guys did cull work w .22 magnum rifles. Dunno if that was biologists or what. Suppressed IIRC
          ​​​​​​That's just killing, not hunting. But they seemed happy w the effectiveness.
          Last edited by CD2; 10-05-2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            Thought .22 -250 was popular deer round in Texas.
            But a good buck there proly weighs half of what one does here.
            Uhhmmm......the .22-250 may be popular in Texas, but not as a deer rifle.

There are pockets of whitetails (Hill Country, Big Bend) that are about the size of a Coues deer. Not large at all. But don't paint the entire state as having small deer.
            Biologically speaking, body mass relates to cold tolerance. The colder the climate, the larger the animal.
            There are whitetails in south Texas that push the 200 pounds. We get some pretty hefty ones up here along Red River.
            I've seen one deer shot with a .22-250. It was bloodshot halfway up the neck to the last rib!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Uhhmmm......the .22-250 may be popular in Texas, but not as a deer rifle.

There are pockets of whitetails (Hill Country, Big Bend) that are about the size of a Coues deer. Not large at all. But don't paint the entire state as having small deer.
              Biologically speaking, body mass relates to cold tolerance. The colder the climate, the larger the animal.
              There are whitetails in south Texas that push the 200 pounds. We get some pretty hefty ones up here along Red River.
              I've seen one deer shot with a .22-250. It was bloodshot halfway up the neck to the last rib!
              According to several websites you're wrong FB, the 22-250 looks to be very popular state wide for deer hunting in Texas.

Comment

FB prefaced by admitting to OFS so I’ll credit him for that.

My Old Man carried the Rem 788 in .22-250 as his deer rifle for a number of years. As far as I know he never once pulled the trigger, let alone had a scope mounted on it. I can’t actually even remember him having ammo now that I think about it. I’m sure he did but can’t recall getting any with the gun when I took possession. I mention this knowing it was probably for the best that he never was serious about shooting anything.

I don’t have an issue with centerfire .22’s being used for deer with the caveat that proper bullets are used. Especially these days with fast twist barrels being able to stabilize 70-80 grain bullets. I’m even certain my kids would have done fine using the 788 with 50 grain Partitions. Someday I may even try it out myself, although most likely for filling a doe tag.

My Scoutmaster had a bum shoulder from a career of swinging hammers. His deer rifle was a .222 Rem. Worked well for him.

Comment

Well, I'm not a deer hunter but, from the outside looking in, it seems to be asking a lot for a 40 grain bullet traveling at 1250 fps to take down a full grown deer with any impact point other than the brain. And even then, the best hope for a clean kill would be inside ranges that a bowhunter hopes for.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                    Well, I'm not a deer hunter but, from the outside looking in, it seems to be asking a lot for a 40 grain bullet traveling at 1250 fps to take down a full grown deer with any impact point other than the brain. And even then, the best hope for a clean kill would be inside ranges that a bowhunter hopes for.
                    The fact is there have been trainloads of deer killed with the 22 illegally(poached) that were shot somewhere other than brain. Spotlighters been doing it for decades. Equally true is that while I was growing up (Michigan) I helped my uncle with his deer processing facility so I know there were/are also a trainload of deer running around with 22 bullets in them that had cyst over. Of course, there are those that die of infection or that some canine ran down while they were qincapacitated.
                    You are right about the distance being very important I think, probably only second to shot placement.
                    For the record my great grandfather took a black bear 4 yrs running when he was living in the u.p. of Michigan with his 22 single shot. Was between the great wars and I don't remember the size or circumstances. He also crawled under the porch and killed one with a hatchet that was trying to hibernate there. My older brother has a pic and a partial newspaper story with headline somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

According to several websites you're wrong FB, the 22-250 looks to be very popular state wide for deer hunting in Texas.
                      I won't argue the point dewman, but I'd point to:
                      1) .30-30 Win
                      2) .243 Win
                      3) 7mm Rem Mag
                      and of course....
                      4) .30-06 Spgfld
                      (not necessarily in that order! 🙂)

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken!" 😐

fitch270! Be very, very careful mi amigo! OFS is approaching your front door and will knock just any day now! LOL! (DO NOT tell us there isn't something you do simply because that's how you've done it since who knows when! Drivers and deliverymen have habits.)

Comment

Dewman, when you say that’s the discussion around here do you mean there’s actually consideration at the government level or just guys kicking the idea around amongst themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I won't argue the point dewman, but I'd point to:
                          1) .30-30 Win
                          2) .243 Win
                          3) 7mm Rem Mag
                          and of course....
                          4) .30-06 Spgfld
                          (not necessarily in that order! 🙂)

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken!" 😐

fitch270! Be very, very careful mi amigo! OFS is approaching your front door and will knock just any day now! LOL! (DO NOT tell us there isn't something you do simply because that's how you've done it since who knows when! Drivers and deliverymen have habits.)
                          10-4 on having habits, I’m about as routine oriented as a person can be. However when the light bulb comes on that there’s a better way I embrace the light fully.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

10-4 on having habits, I’m about as routine oriented as a person can be. However when the light bulb comes on that there’s a better way I embrace the light fully.
                            C'mon dude! Where is that bare spot in your office where you "ALWAYS" toss some everyday item. Lunch sack, truck keys, delivery book, hard hat, etc, etc.....!😉!
                            ....or is that worn spot in the cab of "your" truck?

Edit: In time, that "better way" will give in to, "Nah! I've always done it the other way!" LOL!

....and then, all of a sudden, at 71 years old, you decide to start keeping bees! LOL!

Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-05-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                              Dewman, when you say that’s the discussion around here do you mean there’s actually consideration at the government level or just guys kicking the idea around amongst themselves?
                              Just us guys. Now that it's actually hunting season, and many of us here are chasing different animals in different ways, we are checking in with each other about every night. Sometimes by phone sometimes in person. This has been an often recurring subject. Sometimes because of ammo availability, sometimes because of ammo price.
                              Last edited by dewman; 10-05-2021, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Finally filled that elk tag!
                                by Ernie
                                Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
                                Yesterday, 01:05 PM
                              • Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
                              • Life is good!
                                by dewman
                                .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! 🦌=🍔+🌮+🍺or🍷👍😉 ...
                                11-22-2021, 07:29 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X