New pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pistol

Fall turkey opens today but heavy rain will keep me from the woods this weekend. Oh well. Since Missouri has decided AR pistols with braces are legal pistols during Alternative Season then I will get my new toy ready. A little heavy to just pack around squirreling but if I get a little more ammo then maybe. Had 4 choices. 243, 300BO, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.5 Creedmoor. None were my first choice so I went with what will be easiest to peel if I find what I really want. Will switch back and forth from red dot, reflex, & scope till I settle. Leupold RDS maybe. Shells are Winchester deer season xp image_2995.jpg

COOOOLL!
    You didn't say. Cartridge appears to be 6.5 Grendel?
    Good choice.
    Great looking rig!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      COOOOLL!
      You didn't say. Cartridge appears to be 6.5 Grendel?
      Good choice.
      Great looking rig!
      Sorry for not saying FB. Went with the 6.5Creed

Comment

Looking forward to a range report and the optic outcome.

Are these a switch barrel set up like the T/C’s or fixed? I have a friend who used to use a Contender in .35 Rem, I always thought they were cool but had far too many other interests to justify getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Looking forward to a range report and the optic outcome.

Are these a switch barrel set up like the T/C’s or fixed? I have a friend who used to use a Contender in .35 Rem, I always thought they were cool but had far too many other interests to justify getting one.
          At one time, I considered a T/C Contender.
          You cocked the Contender to shoot. If you didn't shoot, you simply let the hammer down......BUT.... to recock the gun for another shot, the action had to be opened and closed to reset hammer/trigger function.
          I found that trait puzzling and a bit frustrating, therefore, never considered buying one.

Comment

FB: G2 contenders and encores don’t do that
            Fitch: no they are not switch barrel. Prevents someone from buying the muzzleloading pistol with no nics then putting a center fire barrel on later

Comment

Nice choice, dude. Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                FB: G2 contenders and encores don’t do that
                Fitch: no they are not switch barrel. Prevents someone from buying the muzzleloading pistol with no nics then putting a center fire barrel on later
                I heard they corrected that, but by that time I had lost interest.

Comment

CVA's are around $350, T.C. double that.(encore) Cheap enough to play

Comment

Dewman; I figured maybe. I’m aware of the issue having an NEF Huntsman that’s the same platform as the Handi Rifles, and the same reason T/C went to the FX muzzleloader. It just seems CVA could have avoided the issue with a separate fixed muzzleloader from the get go. Maybe a cost deal, who knows. Too bad really, swap barrel set ups have never been overly popular in the US but the idea is sound.

Comment

Fitch: Switch barrel guns aren't new. All repeating shotguns from before screw in chokes were switch barrel. If you were in a shotgun only deer zone you might have 4 different barrels for your rig, all 4 being practical and used every year. My grandmothers only gun was a H&R single shot (158 topper)with a 30-30,22 hornet, and 20ga barrel. Case colored receiver, deep blue, with nice Walnut. Single action revolvers with both 22 & 22 mag cylinders still very popular. So it's not just T.C.'s.
                      Last edited by dewman; 10-03-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

The original Contenders had some good triggers.
                        Yes, if you let the hammer down on an original Contender, you will have to reset it to be able to xock it again.

Most folks open em up to do that. You can just squeeze the trigger guard fully as if you were opening it ( but not open the gun ).

The G2 has a different feel and the Encore is way different ( no likey ).

The FX series of MZ by TC negated any 4473 stuff as it is and will always be, MZ only.

Some folks cant own a firearm and have incorrectly thought that Contender/ Encore in MZ form was legal.

​​​​​​I have a stainless Contender, and a stainless Hawken
                        TC I used to be into, but am content w just these last 2.

Have a G2 and Encore from dads estate yet to be sold. Blah.

Comment

At one time I had 3 Contender barrels. But being a hater of switching barrels, had 3 Contender frames as well LOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Eatin ‘chuck
                            by dewman
                            Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                            Yesterday, 07:19 PM
                          • Parallax adj
                            by CD2
                            Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                            08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                          • TriggerTech installed
                            by fitch270
                            First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                            08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                          • Aquila ammo test
                            by dewman
                            Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                            Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                            08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                          • Show and Tell
                            by Amflyer
                            Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                            08-04-2022, 07:23 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X