Checked a stand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checked a stand...

Was still there from last yr, all secure.
    Acorns on oak flat, but minimal deer sign ( corn up all around thicket ).
    Found these and shook a few down.
    Never tried one before.
    Not bad but too sweet for me

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

What are they? I’m not a big fruit eater but I’d try them. Looks like something deer would hit too.

We pulled five ladder stands earlier this summer and reset one plus a hang on. Need to set another ladder this weekend. The ratchet straps on a couple needed replacing, the metal hook had snapped on a third. Straps are cheap, broken bones not so much.

Good to hear from you, have you been shooting lately?

Comment

I'm going to the lease tomorrow morning to clear around a couple of feeders and scout out the locations of some stands. I'm marking them on GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        What are they? I’m not a big fruit eater but I’d try them. Looks like something deer would hit too.

We pulled five ladder stands earlier this summer and reset one plus a hang on. Need to set another ladder this weekend. The ratchet straps on a couple needed replacing, the metal hook had snapped on a third. Straps are cheap, broken bones not so much.

Good to hear from you, have you been shooting lately?
        Paw paws. I've sever seen them "in the wild".

Comment

Not uncommon here. My deer thicket creekbottom has quite a few. Discovered them when hanging a stand down there last yr.

Where i shot my 8pt w 760, saplings nearby. Tney have looked to double in size this yr and some had fruit.

Should have cut em down last yr in that one spot LOL
          Fetched a Hollywood reloading press from storage unit and had a yellow jacket pop me. No ER visit required but not a comfy night.

Dunno if the YJs go after pawpaw like they do apples and pears.

Maybe shoulda posted the fruit n YJ comment in the survival section LOL. On that note though...

If you dont have an epi pen in your vehicle, backpack, at least have benadryl.

Comment

I don't know about yj's and paw paws but when the persimmons fall and get nasty on the ground yj's are all over them.

Comment

On the OL main page, Tim Macwelch wrote an article about pawpaws in the survival column. Apparently the taste great, but I'm too far north to enjoy them.

Comment

The pawpaw tree grows (?) in my area of OK, but it isn't an optimal environment. They need moist, well drained soil.
                They thrive best east of the Mississippi up into the northeast.

Man! I haven't eaten a persimmon in ages!
                My dad would go out of his way to walk a huckleberry ridge to eat huckleberries.
                We had a mulberry tree in our yard. I never ate mulberries.

There are lots of groceries growing wild. You just gotta learn which is which.

Did any of you ever eat "chin qua pin"* acorns?

Pro: "chinkypin" in East Texasese! 😃

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  The pawpaw tree grows (?) in my area of OK, but it isn't an optimal environment. They need moist, well drained soil.
                  They thrive best east of the Mississippi up into the northeast.

Man! I haven't eaten a persimmon in ages!
                  My dad would go out of his way to walk a huckleberry ridge to eat huckleberries.
                  We had a mulberry tree in our yard. I never ate mulberries.

There are lots of groceries growing wild. You just gotta learn which is which.

Did any of you ever eat "chin qua pin"* acorns?

Pro: "chinkypin" in East Texasese! 😃
                  I'm up to my neck in mulberrys. They "volunteer" by birdsfit so bad they're like weeds. The berries are very tasty if can beat the birds. Otherwise I'm cutting off shoots like we hoed out cockleburrs and thistles when I was a kid

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Eatin ‘chuck
                    by dewman
                    Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                    Yesterday, 07:19 PM
                  • Parallax adj
                    by CD2
                    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                  • TriggerTech installed
                    by fitch270
                    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                  • Aquila ammo test
                    by dewman
                    Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                    Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                    08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                  • Show and Tell
                    by Amflyer
                    Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                    08-04-2022, 07:23 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X