Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress

Finally had a weekend with nothing going on so the plan was to get the old log roads cleared. It’s been probably 10 years since I last cut the saplings and whips back that grow out into the open space along the younger growth sections. What’s worse have been the blowdowns that have been blocking them up top, dragging deer out has been a challenge with treetops laying in the lanes.

The Kid and I spent about 5 hours opening up the main loop this morning, we can now access most of the hill. It will make getting deer out much easier even if we don’t use machinery. There’s still a couple dead end roads we need to take care of and one crossroad that runs through the middle of the main loop. Those aren’t choked up bad, it should only take a couple hours more to finish up, hopefully we’ll get that done tomorrow afternoon.

Our food plots look good. They went in later than I wanted but we’ve had more rain than normal the past few weeks so stuff is actually growing. The Kid is disappointed that the year round scrape has gone cold. Deer are still using the trail but they pretty much killed the licking branches they had been using so have given up on the scrape.

Still have the old lumber left over from our 2’nd deck replacement this spring. I’m hoping to start on that this week after work. I ended up with an entry door and window I might try to incorporate but I’m not sure I can make them work, I don’t want the thing to be too tall and narrow to the point I’d have to reinforce it to keep it from possibly blowing over. The majority of the lumber is in 12’ lengths so the 2nd shack will be either 6x6 or 5x7 in size. The Kid wants it big enough to shoot a bow out of just in case. 6x6 would work better but 5x7 would mean someone could sleep easier in it. Regardless it will be built in sections and assembled up top. Had all we could do to set the 4x5 up last year. Going to take some thinking.

Had another sow and cub up there and a bunch of young bucks that don’t meet the antler restriction requirements. There’s one good sized six point however that’s been regular. Hard to say what the next couple months will bring.

6×6 or 5×7?
    That's not a blind! That's a small house! LOL! 😉
    Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      6×6 or 5×7?
      That's not a blind! That's a small house! LOL! 😉
      Sounds like a good plan.
      We’ve kicked around building a small cabin type deal up there but I can’t bring myself to do it. Not at this point. It wouldn’t be much, maybe 12x12 with a front porch facing west to watch sunsets facing down the valley. I’ve posted pics from about where we’d build. It would be fun but having it in the middle of our hunting grounds just doesn’t sit well with me. The Kid has been dead set against the idea actually.

Comment

It won't affect the deer THAT much. White tails are quite adaptable.
        I know The Kid will soon be leaving to attend college and put his own footprint on the beach of life, but at some point, he will return with his own puppies.
        What better opportunity to introduce young'uns to hunting than a place where they can be "somewhat" comfortable and they don't have to be statue still to watch game.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          It won't affect the deer THAT much. White tails are quite adaptable.
          I know The Kid will soon be leaving to attend college and put his own footprint on the beach of life, but at some point, he will return with his own puppies.
          What better opportunity to introduce young'uns to hunting than a place where they can be "somewhat" comfortable and they don't have to be statue still to watch game.
          It’s not really about the critters, it’s more about just leaving that part of the property be for our own reasons. Putting a building up in the middle of the place would ruin the aesthetics. There used to be two 4x4 shanties up top, I had to clean both up after they collapsed years ago. Wasn’t a big deal but made me mindful that anything I do will be someone else’s problem someday. I’ve spent about 20 years hauling off a couple generations worth of farm “leftovers” and have the joint cleared out finally. I’d like to leave it as pristine as possible.

On the other hand both my cousin and I are getting along in years. Anything to keep us out there will be a good thing. It’s also likely to be the best way to keep my daughter involved. She seems to enjoy hunting but isn’t quite the diehard her brother is.

By the time grandkids come along I’ll need to have heat in one.🙄

Comment

We made it back up this afternoon and finished the crossroad and one dead end on the top front. We started the backside dead end and made it almost halfway when a shot of thunder hit. I looked over at the Kid and another rolled. I motioned time to go. He took off for the buggy as I backed my way down with the tractor. It started raining a bit but let me get back to the house before coming down hard. Only lasted about twenty minutes but it would have made finishing up a mess. Won’t take much to get it done but that road side hills on a narrow and uneven run. It’s tricky working the tractor on it so hurrying isn’t an option.

We accomplished a fair amount this weekend. We also knocked out our yearly string trimming of the back banks last week so the lawn work is in great shape. Food plots look better every weekend. It’s starting to feel like we’re ready for fall.

Comment

Chuck hunted with us for years on our lease. He and my grampa were big buds.
              One year we showed up and Chuck had built a box blind for my grampa. Grampa was 80 at the time. We gave him the blues about hunting in "The Hotel"!
              Grampa began killing deer while everybody else was freezing, getting wet or climbing trees!
              Soon, we had box blinds with heaters at all favored spots. LOL!
              A heated blind IS pretty nice!

Comment

8DA71B5B-9CC4-4E3D-BCCE-12F5B0504F59.jpeg

These came down with us on Sunday afternoon. I was surprised that much of the styrofoam label was left on the Pepsi bottle. One Bud, a Genny and Seagrams 7 as well. I’m sure we’ll still find things occasionally but doubt we’ll stumble on anymore engine blocks in the woods.

We went back up tonight and finished cutting back the last road plus cleared a trail from it’s end up to just about 75 yards from the middle road. This gets us access to maybe 80% of the hill. It will make the biggest difference if we have significant snow, most anyplace up there is a downhill drag to, and then down, one of the roads. It will definitely help should one of us end up shooting a bear. Aside from the trail cam pics they’ve been flipping rocks over quite recently.

On the way back to the house we had to skirt one of the food plots, two deer were visible in it through the trees. They let us go on our way without running off.

About all that’s left is to get the second shack built. Only real problem is deciding where it’s going.

Comment

The place I hunted as a kid was extremely remote for the area. I was constantly surprised by the jugs and bottles we found in the weirdest places.
                  I found the screw on hub cap from an early teens or 20's Chevy buried in the mud about as deep in a creek bottom as you could go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget