Deer population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer population

Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers have been fairly consistent since early last fall.

How are numbers looking where all y'all are? E1E9B2C2-6F98-43C0-928D-BF34E97CA795.jpeg

Well sir, here in south Texas, I've got a trail cam set up in the driveway about 150 yards from the house.
    I get deer at the feeder every night.
    Plus 'yotes, ferals and a few peccaries!
    So, looking good!

Comment

They're starting to show up on the banks where the sun's melted the snow off. We've had a couple right behind the house every morning the past several days. Unfortunately that means they're also hanging close to the roads and I've seen two roadkills since last week. The Kid's been on the hill the past two weekends, first one he went up without a gun and had a 'yote walk within 40 yards, then he saw 7 deer a short time later. They picked him out after a spell but didn't bust out, rather they just kept their distance. He backed out so as not to stress them.

Of course he took his .222 out this past weekend looking to get his first songdog and saw nothing. He did find a new trail that we'll have tomkeep an eye on. Not sure if they'll use it year-round but it's getting traveled hard with the snow we've had.

Comment

Our deer around here are spread out everywhere in small groups, too small for me to call herds. They are still getting hit by cars all the time but I still see them all over at all times of the day so I think we are going to be just fine. Summer disease will be the biggest factor in deer numbers come fall. Since I'm a meat kind of guy I don't lose any sleep over it. Haven't missed tagging out since I think the early '70's.

Comment

I didn't see as much deer sign this season.

Comment

The state must consider our deer population excessive or at least very strong because they greatly expanded the deer management sub-unit that was formerly limited to urbanized areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
              The state must consider our deer population excessive or at least very strong because they greatly expanded the deer management sub-unit that was formerly limited to urbanized areas.
              A lot has to do with the Insurance lobby.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget