Wasn't thinking ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Two boxes of 120gr 7mm Barnes TTSX coming from Midway, ordered last night and had delivery confirmation this morning.
    We think alike! I also ordered two boxes of 120gr 6.5mm Barnes TTSX from Midway yesterday!
    Last edited by PigHunter; 02-21-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

"... I'm not a retail genius, or economically educated, but it seems to me that if ALL the retailers would put a 20 Rd/day center-fire, 100 Rd/day pistol and rimfire limit, people would stop hoarding. ..."

That isn't stopping them amflyer. They just get a bunch of ne'er-do-wells to go in and buy additional shares.
      Ammo day at Academy looks like free pie day at a homeless shelter! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
        I'm not a retail genius, or economically educated, but it seems to me that if ALL the retailers would put a 20 Rd/day center-fire, 100 Rd/day pistol and rimfire limit, people would stop hoarding.

In other words, make a little available to everyone, and then people stop freaking about it.

Same with primers. I buy them by the case too, but I would rather be able to pick up a couple of 100's rather than just not have them exist. My reloading store cut them down to 2000/per customer, but that didn't last long.

I mean, they are still going to sell. Just more slowly. MidwayUSA isn't doing anyone any favors, selling IMI die-cut 9mm for 1.20 per round. And I think customers should remember that.
        Midway USA had a 2 box limit on the bullets I ordered yesterday. I like the way they do things and count myself to be a loyal customer.

Comment

Yep, two box limit for mine as well. Fortunately that's all I wanted and I'm glad they had them, I tried price shopping and looking for .277cal 130's as well. No dice anywhere but Midway's prices were in line with the places out of stock.

Midway has Etips and GMXs in 130's but I held off. I have a box and a half of Federal Trophy Copper loads leftover from our trip so could get by short term. There's also some Nosler factory Etip loads downstairs for the 7-08 but those are 140's, I'm thinking a bit more speed might work better on our smaller whitetails.

Comment

That 100 bullets was all I wanted too since I've never tried them and want to see how well they'll do before getting more. Originally I wasn't planning to handload for 6.5 CM but this shortage changed my path. The dies got here a couple of days ago and the trimming gauge will be here tomorrow. I've got plenty of primers and a couple lbs of Win 748. The only shortage is in brass.

Right now I have about 100 rounds of various factory loaded hunting cartridges. So far I've only used Hornady's 143gr ELD-X in the field but have less than 2 boxes remaining. In reserve is three boxes of Hornady 129gr Interlock.

Comment

If they outlawed lead bullets here I wouldn't sweat it much. There are enough tried and proven(as in accurate with predictable performance) all copper bullets out there that I'm sure I could find one to make me content.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure I'll manage just fine if needed but I'd have purchased differently a couple months ago if I'd been on the ball. On the plus side at least I'm not sitting on a bunch of handloaded ammo I can't hunt with. Meantime I'm reevaluating inventory.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure I'll manage just fine if needed but I'd have purchased differently a couple months ago if I'd been on the ball. On the plus side at least I'm not sitting on a bunch of handloaded ammo I can't hunt with. Meantime I'm reevaluating inventory.
                  I've got hundreds of handloads using copper jacketed lead bullets. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a push towards lead-free bullets in Alabama.
                  Last edited by PigHunter; 02-22-2021, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I've got hundreds of handloads using copper jacketed lead bullets. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a push towards lead-free bullets in Alabama.
                    Nor in Texas or Oklahoma. As long as those states stay "red", I don't see it as becoming a problem.
                    I still see Sierra "cup & core" bullets as just about the best for my few applications. Varmints, hogs and deer.

Comment

Just ordered 50 of Starline brass for the 6.5CM with the small rifle primer pocket. I've got almost 700 small rifle benchrest primers for inventory so I'm good there. Now I'll need to find the right powder but can afford to wait. Apparently H4350 is the go-to for the cartridge. I've got some IMR 4895 but max velocity will probably be 100 fps slower if I use it.

Comment

Bullets should be here Friday PH, you’re closer to Midway so you’ll probably have yours tomorrow or Thursday?

Nice score on the Starline brass, guessing it’s hard to find right now.

Comment

Bullets should be here Friday PH, you’re closer to Midway so you’ll probably have yours tomorrow or Thursday?

Nice score on the Starline brass, guessing it’s hard to find right now.
                          Thanks. Yep, low cost brass is hard to find. The only 6.5CM Starline brass at Midway was the smaller primer pocket. Online discussions indicate the major difference is that the small version lasts through more times of reloading. So, I decided to order. Qty was limited to 50 per customer.

The tracking info says Thursday for the bullets, Wednesday next week for the brass.

In normal times, the factory loaded Barnes 120gr goes for about $2 per round and that's about what I'll be spending for the first batch. Online auctions have the ammo going for $2.50+ per round now for the 120's but the 143gr ELD-X is going for $4.

I've got 38 rounds of the 143gr factory loads and 60 rounds of the 129gr Interlock loads. So, I'm good for several years of hunting even without handloads. (All that factory brass uses large primer pockets.) ... But who knows what will happen to ammo in the future and I want to be prepared. Plus, it's just fun to say I dropped deer and pigs with my handloads.

Comment

I want to say I paid about $42 per box for the factory Barnes TTSX loads in 7mm-08. Turns out we have exactly three rounds left. When we get the chance I'll have the Kid shoot a group with them over the chrono just for a little reference of speed, group size and poi. Not counting equipment I'm estimating I'll be loading them for about $1.50. Didn't have free shipping when I ordered and now they're collecting sales tax as well. Bumped up the price about $.15 per bullet. Is what it is and still cheaper than driving around wasting time trying to find stuff.

Comment

Let's see...

50 cases for $55, 100 bullets for $98, dies for $36, case length gauge for $6.

1st 100 rounds costs $195 (not counting primers and powder which I already have)... and that's loading the cases twice.

That's about the cost of pre-Covid factory loads. I'd have never loaded for the cartridge if it wasn't for the shortage.

Comment

Walked into the Academy in Corpus Christi, Texas.
                                Ammo non-existent!
                                Lo and behold!
                                Ammo at Customer Service.
                                I couldn't see the stock, but a clerk asked what caliber I was looking for.
                                6.8mm / No
                                .308 / No
                                "What do you have?"
                                .223 - 5.56 - .22 -7.62×51....
                                Did you say 7.62×51?
                                Two boxes of Fed 149 gr FMJ, $21.99/ea.

So it's NOT the stores doing the price gouging. Well, not Academy anyway.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Taxidermy man called
                                  by fitch270
                                  Teaser; We haven’t picked it up yet but plan to this afternoon after the Kid gets done with work.

Should have pics up this evening.
                                  Today, 09:54 AM
                                • Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                                  by dewman
                                  All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                                  03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                                • Ammunition vs. components.
                                  by Red Angus
                                  Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                                  03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                                • Deer population
                                  by Red Angus
                                  Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                                  03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                                • Nice find poochie!
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                                  THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                                  02-28-2021, 11:32 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X