Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer battery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deer battery

    Well, I have decided on my minimum deer battery

    While I like lots of things, I didn't get to use what few I have this yr.
    Looking at Jumping Jack tent trailver and going to diff states.

    So.........

    here's the ones Im keeping.

    Steyr .30-06 Prohunter
    Ruger #1 .280 rem
    Remington 760 .35 rem
    Remington 700 .243
    Thompson Center Hawken Silver Elite .50

    The .243 can be a loaner to family members as well.....if any of em wants to tent camp out of state for a stinky deer.

    I am torn on dumping my Blackwidow HS recurve. If I do, it would be replaced w a new PSA2 at slightly lesser #.
    Am also looking at a Hoyt Torrex. Since I don't compete anymore, I don't need a top end wheelie.

    Think the above list is it, for the next 20 yrs or so.

    Kinda weird, the journey over...........after being a gear head all these years.


  • #2
    At some point I'll downsize before retirement. Here's what I'll keep for deer and pig hunting

    Remington 788 in .308 Win
    Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor

    Will give up archery, muzzleloaders, single-shots and semi-autos.
    Last edited by PigHunter; 12-15-2020, 07:21 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm still waffling back and forth on this. As mentioned before I would really like to put together a decent mid tier stainless synthetic .270 working rifle to wind down with. I have a few guns I could let go of but for what I'd get I'm content to just hang onto them. Most likely I'll be in my 70's before any possible grandkids are old enough to pass something down to. The Kid wants them all but knows he'll have to share with his sister at a minimum. I'm not sure she has any attachment to anything not actually her's already but that might change. On the plus side it doesn't cost anything to keep a couple extra guns in the safe.

      Comment


      • #4
        Many of my specialty pistols are used for a variety of critters and purposes: prairie dogs to elk and paper and steel.
        I don't plan on limiting at this time, as I also lend XP's to others to use both for hunting and for competing.
        There are several XP-100's though, that were purpose built for big game, which would include hunting in the hills and or mountains: 6mm-284, 6.5-284, 284 Winchester, and a 280AI. One has a Carbon wrapped barrel, and the other just have a lighter barrel contour.

        Comment


        • #5
          If this year has taught me anything it's NEVER say never. No telling what gun (or gear) might toss itself onto my lap wanting me to play! My little gunshop regulars group, friends & family as well as others know me too well. They laugh every time I try to downsize, which I think is one of Gods favorite practical jokes he likes to play on me. " Hey look Dewman is trying to sell some of his guns again, let's see what he thinks about this classic featherweight. Hah! Got him again." Which reminds me the gunshop got in in trade a scratchless Browning Abolt micro in............. OH no! It's a 7mm-08!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            At some point I'll downsize before retirement. Here's what I'll keep for deer and pig hunting

            Remington 788 in .308 Win
            Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor

            Will give up archery, muzzleloaders, single-shots and semi-autos.
            I would keep one but not both. My choice would be .308.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

              I would keep one but not both. My choice would be .308.
              The 788 in .308 Win has sentimental value to me because I've taken most of my deer and pigs with that rifle. That's the only reason I would keep it.

              The American in 6.5CM has slightly less recoil, is slightly more accurate, is threaded for my suppressor, and has a better trigger. It would be my choice if had to get down to just one. Besides, the Creedmoor can do anything the .308 Win can

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                The 788 in .308 Win has sentimental value to me because I've taken most of my deer and pigs with that rifle. That's the only reason I would keep it.

                The American in 6.5CM has slightly less recoil, is slightly more accurate, is threaded for my suppressor, and has a better trigger. It would be my choice if had to get down to just one. Besides, the Creedmoor can do anything the .308 Win can
                The .308 can do things the 6.5 can not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                  The .308 can do things the 6.5 can not.
                  Jim, what can the 308 do that the 6.5 can't? I know the .308 can deliver a heavier bullet because of its greater diameter but that comes at the cost of more recoil. But when it comes to performance on game is there really a difference? You have a 6.5x55. How well has it performed for you?

                  Remember, we're talking deer hunting battery on this thread. So far, I've only taken one deer and one pig with the cartridge but It worked just as well as the .308 Win. Besides that, I'm seeing more reports the 6.5 Creedmoor is being used to take elk and black bear.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Any of the short action 6.5's (as does a 308 Win) do a good job of killing when the hunter puts a bullet in the right place.
                    6.5 Creed, 260 Remington, and 6.5 Swede can do things that the 308 Winchester cannot, as well.
                    With that being said, the 50 BMG can do things (Or Not), that the either of them can do...https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discu...il-deer#latest
                    This guy is a good friend of mine. His autopsy's are detailed.
                    Now, if he had heart shot her or double shoulder shot her, it would have been over quick.
                    Bigger is not always better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                      Jim, what can the 308 do that the 6.5 can't? I know the .308 can deliver a heavier bullet because of its greater diameter but that comes at the cost of more recoil. But when it comes to performance on game is there really a difference? You have a 6.5x55. How well has it performed for you?

                      Remember, we're talking deer hunting battery on this thread. So far, I've only taken one deer and one pig with the cartridge but It worked just as well as the .308 Win. Besides that, I'm seeing more reports the 6.5 Creedmoor is being used to take elk and black bear.
                      You answered your own question. The .308 can shoot a much heavier bullet then a 6.5Creed. I usually load a 160gr for my 6.5X55 and I don't think your 6.5 can handle that. How strong are you anyway? Worrying about a medium power rifle recoil?. I have never felt the recoil of any game that I shot, including my .300WbyMag. I would still choose the .308 over the 6.5 - have three of them right now and have had another 3 or 4 over the years. . .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                        You answered your own question. The .308 can shoot a much heavier bullet then a 6.5Creed. I usually load a 160gr for my 6.5X55 and I don't think your 6.5 can handle that. How strong are you anyway? Worrying about a medium power rifle recoil?. I have never felt the recoil of any game that I shot, including my .300WbyMag. I would still choose the .308 over the 6.5 - have three of them right now and have had another 3 or 4 over the years. . .
                        I use 150gr for my .308 Win and 143 for the 6.5 CM. So far I can't tell a difference on game. With modern bullet construction there's absolutely no good reason to go with the heavier bullets but plenty of reasons to go with lighter. The 10th edition of Hornady's reloading manual shows 10 powders in the chart for the 160gr in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes, the cartridge can easily handle the 160 gr and the long cartridge neck probably helps. Why did you think the 6.5 couldn't handle the 160?

                        In my opinion the .308 Win and 6.5 CM are interchangeable for deer hunting at reasonable distances. The Creedmoor would hold a slight edge further out but that's not important to me. What is important? As I listed, the Ruger American is superior in many ways over that old Remington 788.

                        Recoil is not an issue for me right now. But who's to say how it will affect me 20 years from now if I'm still hunting in my 80's? What if I develop a bad shoulder? What about teaching the grandchildren to hunt? What about teaching a small frame adult woman to hunt? What if PigHuntress wants to hunt with the rifle. Sure, I'm pretty stout. But it's not all about me and how much recoil I can stand. I've got nothing to prove. Remember, I sometimes hunt with a .45-70 Handi-Rifle.
                        Last edited by PigHunter; 12-20-2020, 01:43 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          PH: I feel what you're saying, literally. For old times sake I used the old '06 this year instead of my 7mm-08. Its heavier and I put a thick pachmayr recoil pad on it so recoil was not bad but noticeably more than my 700mtn rifle. Didn't kill any deader, holes were the same size. Did notice the extra weight tho. Going forward I'll go back to my 7mm-08. A deer only takes so much killing and with today's bullets/powders unless it's something you already own why not size down. I am 60. It's easier to be smarter than 20 yr olds than it is to be tougher. Most times😉

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I’ve been saying the same as PH and Dewman about bullet construction when the topic pops up, oddly enough boxes of Nosler Partitions keep showing up on my bench. They aren’t exactly modern but kind of set the bar for bullet performance. I’ll be loading 100’s for my daughter’s .243 and 140’s for the Kid’s 7-08. When I can find them I’ll work up some 95gr and 120gr Ballistic Tips respectively.

                            I’m also looking out for 130gr BT’s for my .270 but I’m highly considering Partitions for it as well. My only hesitation is wondering if I shouldn’t make the jump to 150’s just in case elk become a possibility again.

                            Hit a deer in the right spot and it wouldn’t matter which of the bullets mentioned you used. Not dealing with recoil means more productive practice secessions which in turn makes hitting deer in the right spot easier.


                            Back to CD2’s original post, about the only direct overlap I can see is his 30/06 and the .280 from a performance standpoint but the Steyr and Ruger are two different animals altogether so why not?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                              I’ve been saying the same as PH and Dewman about bullet construction when the topic pops up, oddly enough boxes of Nosler Partitions keep showing up on my bench. They aren’t exactly modern but kind of set the bar for bullet performance. I’ll be loading 100’s for my daughter’s .243 and 140’s for the Kid’s 7-08. When I can find them I’ll work up some 95gr and 120gr Ballistic Tips respectively.

                              I’m also looking out for 130gr BT’s for my .270 but I’m highly considering Partitions for it as well. My only hesitation is wondering if I shouldn’t make the jump to 150’s just in case elk become a possibility again.

                              Hit a deer in the right spot and it wouldn’t matter which of the bullets mentioned you used. Not dealing with recoil means more productive practice secessions which in turn makes hitting deer in the right spot easier.


                              Back to CD2’s original post, about the only direct overlap I can see is his 30/06 and the .280 from a performance standpoint but the Steyr and Ruger are two different animals altogether so why not?
                              I have a box of Norma 7MM Remington Mag 175gr Partitions early production when they were individually turned on a lathe for concentricity. P.S. They chronograph 3,000fps, something I can not quite achieve with my reloads in my rifle.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X