I Don't want to Shoot a Deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't want to Shoot a Deer.

Ever read this story? Ted Trueblood, if I remember correctly. Lovely bit of writing. Basically a discussion about the process of deer hunting, and how the author really doesn't want to kill anymore. I understand the sentiment. There have been a lot of hunts where I pass up the shots, telling myself that I don't feel like doing the dragging, processing, etc., but I think in the back of my mind I just don't have the blood lust I had in younger days.

Good thing or bad thing? Anyone else feel this way?

For a family that loves and eats as much venison as we do, it's not the "what do I do with it?" scenario. Guess I'm just a softy.

I don't recall the "blood lust" you speak of, even in my younger days. Yes, I've had times where I passed on the shooting because I didn't want to spoil the comfortable peace and serenity I found once I was in the woods. Times where the reflection and daydreaming overshadowed the taking of game once I was there. Never know when that calm will overtake you but for for damn sure it won't come sitting around the house, at least not in my case. I hunt like I live, day to day, moment to memory. Happens when the outdoors is who you are, not just something you do.

Comment

I don't recall the story but remember reading Ted Trueblood as a kid so it's possible. Might not have related much to a teenager at the time.

I'm having mixed feelings about this right now, on the one hand the freezer is full thanks to the kids, on the other I still feel like I'm a long way from finished in tag filling. It's like I just hit my stride when the kid's pursuits became the priority and my went on hold. Not complaining, and I'd like to think much of their success is because I gave them a good head start. That and youth seasons.

Playing around with rifles more isn't helping either, the whole point of upgrading and practicing is to put the stuff to use in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        I don't recall the story but remember reading Ted Trueblood as a kid so it's possible. Might not have related much to a teenager at the time.

I'm having mixed feelings about this right now, on the one hand the freezer is full thanks to the kids, on the other I still feel like I'm a long way from finished in tag filling. It's like I just hit my stride when the kid's pursuits became the priority and my went on hold. Not complaining, and I'd like to think much of their success is because I gave them a good head start. That and youth seasons.

Playing around with rifles more isn't helping either, the whole point of upgrading and practicing is to put the stuff to use in the field.
        The obvious answer in case it hasn't already occurred to you, is now you get to be picky. No pressure to eat a tag cause you've already got your seasons worth from your property. Give pheasants or other small game a better effort.( kids can do this with you) Then when deer gun comes in the combination of no pressure for meat and kids tags filled allow yourself to relax and enjoy the experience. You never know what might come strolling through your place right?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          The obvious answer in case it hasn't already occurred to you, is now you get to be picky. No pressure to eat a tag cause you've already got your seasons worth from your property. Give pheasants or other small game a better effort.( kids can do this with you) Then when deer gun comes in the combination of no pressure for meat and kids tags filled allow yourself to relax and enjoy the experience. You never know what might come strolling through your place right?
          I guess being picky is the dilemma, we live in an antler restriction unit so that cuts out the little guys (Youths 14 & 15 exempt, hence my girl's buck). The question is do I hold out for a real wall hanger that may not exist or take a decent 2 1/2 year old that I'm more likely to encounter and would be thrilled with if the freezer wasn't full. No doubt a good problem to have. I'll figure it out in the heat of the moment should the opportunity arise.

I'll probably sit a few times with the bow just because. My luck a huge bear will come strolling in.........

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
            Ever read this story? Ted Trueblood, if I remember correctly. Lovely bit of writing. Basically a discussion about the process of deer hunting, and how the author really doesn't want to kill anymore. I understand the sentiment. There have been a lot of hunts where I pass up the shots, telling myself that I don't feel like doing the dragging, processing, etc., but I think in the back of my mind I just don't have the blood lust I had in younger days.

Good thing or bad thing? Anyone else feel this way?

For a family that loves and eats as much venison as we do, it's not the "what do I do with it?" scenario. Guess I'm just a softy.
            Amflyer, I have been there and of this feeling for over 10 years. I have remarked in previous posts that that feeling started as I was going through a prostate issue in the late 1990’s ! I still had the desire to be in the woods with recurve in hand but never pulled a strung broadhead on another deer. When I accepted my own mortality, it was harder and harder to think of killing another deer. I am not against others in their hunting pursuits in any way, it is just not for me any longer. I was more than a dedicated bowhunter, I was totally obsessed with it. I still miss the challenge, the excitement of the hunt, just not the killing. Good post Amflyer, I did not know if others had the same thoughts......thanks !

Comment

For me the kill is part of the hunt.
              The period at the end of a written statement.

Can leave it off....and that is fine.

But then that isnt a statement.
              Coulda aint the same as did

Many a deer running around today because somebody flubbed that last little important part.

Ive only killed a few dozen deer. Plenty of geese, rabbit, doves and varmints though.

Dont have diddly squat to prove.
              And grilled chicken sounds just as good as dove breasts wrapped in bacon.

Comment

Must be getting soft in my old age.
                I like venison fine, but am content to do without.
                Killing deer feels good, but I dont have to or can wait a while between kills.

The feel, smell......all of it. It makes me feel alive.

But I am used to feeling half dead the 11 other months of the year

Lazy, soft hearted....or tired. Proly some of each.

None of my kids hunt. So I gotta be the one to put critters in the freezer.

​​​​
                Last edited by CD2; 10-13-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I have not read the story.

For me, I can't say that I've ever had a blood lust. I go deer hunting for the purpose of killing a deer. If I didn't have the opportunity to watch deer, and other wildlife, while I go about my work on the farm I'm sure I would have a much different mindset while hunting. However, at my present stage in life, the work that comes after the kill gives me more pause than the killing.

It could be that I have the blood lust but don't realize it.

Comment

My hunting and fishing is down to just what I can use. It seems the family has lost it's interest in wild game. Maybe it's the busy, busy, work, work lifestyle with prepared meals available delivered to the house. We used to have giant fish fry's, but not any more.

On taking a back up rifle, on a trip to Michigan a guy broke an extractor on a Remington 721 30-06. Only time I ever saw a real break down. I did have a cheap scope fail once. He hunted with a ramrod and continued to use the rifle as a single shot.

Some may remember I was looking at a Ruger 77 left hand .300WinMag at a gun show. Well the first show was last weekend and the guy still had it. Nice classical rifle with a Burris scope. The price was $750 and he quickly came down to $650. I offered $600 and he threw in a box of shells,
                    I held at $600 and he added a box of ammo. (150gr, light for a .300mag) then I noticed it was a Hawkeye model. I missed that earlier. As I remember their history was not noted as being the most accurate as the older 77's were with the Douglas barrels. So, I passed on the rifle.

Comment

Opening paragraph. Reread it this morning.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

My small freezer easily holds two deer, filling to about 50%. That leaves plenty of room for frozen pizza, vegetables, etc. Harvesting a pig would take roughly another 25%. Four large animals stored in there would totally frazzle PigHuntress and there would be Hell to pay.

So, I commonly stop taking deer after two. Sometimes I take a third animal if it's a nice buck. In any case, we give away over half to non-hunting family and friends. Like I've said in other posts, I'll eat venison but prefer beef. So, the freezer doesn't get empty as quickly as it should. There's still meat in there from last season. I may donate a deer to charity this year.

I hunt for several reasons. The challenge is part of it and getting out in the winter woods is another. I do like making the kill but on a whim have let many walk on by. I don't get enjoyment from the indiscriminate destruction of an animal. But, I will kill with no regrets or remorse if that's what needs to be done. Armadillos, coyotes, raccoons, chipmunks, feral house cats, etc. that enter my field of fire will be taken down. For some reason though, I've always let bobcats walk. I must have a soft spot.
                        Last edited by PigHunter; 10-14-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I hunted a lot as a youth and then was sent to kill commies and enemies of freedom, then took a long break. Maybe it’s time to repeat the cycle. Happy Trails

Comment

I'm not really interested in taking just a deer either,Im a trophy hunter and bucks most of you shoot,I let walk.Im now in the middle of my 56th season and near the end of my hunting career,what I find as a challenge may or not interest any one No two hunters are alike,or their idea of a successful hunt. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                              I'm not really interested in taking just a deer either,Im a trophy hunter and bucks most of you shoot,I let walk.Im now in the middle of my 56th season and near the end of my hunting career,what I find as a challenge may or not interest any one No two hunters are alike,or their idea of a successful hunt. Good luck
                              6P, good to see you post again and you make a great point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget