The $20 Shooting Shack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $20 Shooting Shack

DA7C86F7-D264-4F69-9EB4-04E7C540AE6E.jpeg66B85C52-C86B-4046-B842-D2917F161EF7.jpegE8234F89-03BC-4B99-8566-6F56589BEA5F.jpeg So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks but was in too good of shape to trash. Scrounged up some plywood scraps and a little flashing to go with the two pieces of metal roofing I’d been hanging onto. The roofing material was just enough to cover a 5.5’x4’ blind which will work perfectly for my daughter and I to sit in. She’s the one who named it the Shack.

The boy and I started building the basic frame at the house on a utility trailer. Once it started getting unmanageably heavy to move we drug it up on the hill and finished with cordless tools. Had about 85% of it done Labor Day weekend but finally put most of the finishing touches on it tonight after work. She don’t look like much but is solid. I’m sure mice and bees will get in but anything bigger than a red squirrel is going to have to chew it’s way in. I tacked on flashing on the backside and one end for a little weather and wind protection but mainly to prevent back lighting through the cracks. The last thing I need to do is paint the “windows” black so they look similar open or closed. They both slide up and can be held open with eye hooks. We even got the office chair for free at a yard sale. The only thing I actually bought specifically for the project was screws. I almost reused them as well but figured it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Set up where the longest shot might be 75 yards. Hoping it pays off.
    Last edited by fitch270; 09-16-2020, 10:29 PM.

Looks good. I would pile up some brush and branches front and sides to break up outline.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      Looks good. I would pile up some brush and branches front and sides to break up outline.
      Jimbo has a good idea as to the outline breakup factor, but the longer the shack is there, the less of importance that will be. But it would help to enhance the ‘outdoors’ look and tie the shack into a more ‘woodsy’ looking environment anyway ! Should be a nice cosy hunt on those rainy days and should also give some scent protection. Good job !!

Comment

A question and an idea. Is it deep enough to put a tripod type rest to set your daughters 243 on and still be comfortably able to swivel to cover the area?
        Idea: Untill deer get used to it pound a couple pcs of rebar, around 3' tall or so about 2' in front of and about 4' wide or so, in front of it. Run some cord or rope, whatever, like a clothesline then cut vegetation from right there and drape or zip tie it on the line. Fresh green cut will give natural cover scent as well as cover sight. Freshen as needed then after season just pull your rods, brush and all leaving a clean area.
        very nice by the way. I would hunt that stand anyday

Comment

Also, it looks fairly easy to insulate and interior panel. When it's cold it would be cozy cozy cozy. Never underestimate comfortable when you're sitting in one place.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            A question and an idea. Is it deep enough to put a tripod type rest to set your daughters 243 on and still be comfortably able to swivel to cover the area?
            Idea: Untill deer get used to it pound a couple pcs of rebar, around 3' tall or so about 2' in front of and about 4' wide or so, in front of it. Run some cord or rope, whatever, like a clothesline then cut vegetation from right there and drape or zip tie it on the line. Fresh green cut will give natural cover scent as well as cover sight. Freshen as needed then after season just pull your rods, brush and all leaving a clean area.
            very nice by the way. I would hunt that stand anyday
            The window opening is flush with the exterior deck boards so the shelf is about 6” wide from the 2x6 framed up inside. My plan is to use a sandbag or thick pad of some sort for a rest. We had her sit in the chair to get the window height set best for her. The swivel chair raises and lowers as well, the only issue might be getting the gun up and out of the opening without being seen.

The shack is backed up by a brushy area, we cut a narrow trail to the door on the backside. If we’re quiet enough and the wind is right we may be able to get into the thing with deer down below us.

I’ll have more lumber for a second when we pull the main deck in the spring. Right now treated is in short supply and 3x the price. Figure this first will be a prototype and I can tweak things as needed.

Edit to add:
            As far as insulation I may do that if I can scrape up some foam board but I don’t want to encourage critters nesting with fiberglass. The girl already plans to bring a blanket or two to wrap up in if needed.
            Last edited by fitch270; 09-17-2020, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I am a hunting purist; an exalted epitome of sporting purity that has no use for things like hunting shacks.

Or at least I was.

Then I went to Oklahoma to hunt feral pigs with my B-I-L. I held my nose and we sat side-by-each in the shack. The language got bluer, the air got fartier, and the pigs were kept at bay by the loud stories traded in that little metal box. I can't say that were were the most serious about hunting that day, but I can say that I had one of the best times hunting for a long while.

So, yeah, sitting in that blind that you and your son made together, looking for deer with your daughter...that's about the best thing you could do these days. Go make some memories.

Comment

Normally I don't have the opportunity to hunt from a box blind since I'm primarily on public land where they're not allowed. But I've spend many hours in such on private land either as a guest, paid lease member, or customer.

I like it and think you did good with the setup as long as the wind doesn't blow your scent towards the deer.

A blanket and hot-hands pads have been sufficient for me to stay warm. One time PigHuntress and I used a portable propane heater in a box blind and a young buck wandered downwind. Suddenly his head popped up as he smelled the heater's exhaust, and he quickly left. We haven't used that heater since and on cold days just share a blanket draped across our legs.

My Dad uses a converted horse trailer for his blind. Its got sliding plexiglass windows and is lined with thick carpet for insulation and noise reduction. A large propane canister fuels his heater but the carpet insulation is so good that he only uses the heater at the coldest times. The blind is big enough for two swivel office chairs and several of us have sat with him overlooking food plots. It's a good setup for sharing with the great grandkids because their constant fidgeting is hidden from the deer.

Comment

[QUOTE=PigHunter;n63747]Normally I don't have the opportunity to hunt from a box blind since I'm primarily on public land where they're not allowed. But I've spend many hours in such on private land either as a guest, paid lease member, or customer.

I like it and think you did good with the setup as long as the wind doesn't blow your scent towards the deer.

A blanket and hot-hands pads have been sufficient for me to stay warm. One time PigHuntress and I used a portable propane heater in a box blind and a young buck wandered downwind. Suddenly his head popped up as he smelled the heater's exhaust, and he quickly left. We haven't used that heater since and on cold days just share a blanket draped across our legs.

My Dad uses a converted horse trailer for his blind. Its got sliding plexiglass windows and is lined with thick carpet for insulation and noise reduction. A large propane canister fuels his heater but the carpet insulation is so good that he only uses the heater at the coldest times. The blind is big enough for two swivel office chairs and several of us have sat with him overlooking food plots. It's a good setup for sharing with the great grandkids because their constant fidgeting is hidden from the deer.

This is what I use when really cold. Outside stays cool. Heater acts like a chimney so exhaust/scent is carried straight up. The manuf. sells a wool parka that you bring the heater right in with you. Keeps you toasty when 10 below. This is in their ad and popular in Michigan.
                  I start the charcoal at camp and then carry it in the basket on the front of my ATV.
                  I also bring a dozen more briquettes to add during the day. To keep at max output you simply tap the heater every half hour or so and the briquettes glow right up.
                  Product. is Char-Heat I believe located in Detroit area. . https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...e700b70a240614

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Comment

Cccccccccccccccccccccc

Comment

Youth season getting closer by the day. Looking forward to the posted story & pics from the adventure. Make that 243 bark young lady.

Comment

I'm back home visiting parents, set to go visit the deer hunting ground. Was told by landowner "no cows this year, so the weeds are tall." Deer season on its way.

They are starting to harvest full swing here in NE too.

Comment

Looks like the Waldorf-Astoria to me! 😃!

I've been hunting out of box blinds since the mid 70's.
                          The only thing I see wrong is nobody's sitting on it! LOL!

If I changed anything, I'd get a buttload of cheap painters caulk ($1.98/tube) and seal up those cracks.
                          From building my home and other projects, I've got plenty paint leftovers. Sometimes, you can pickup mistakes at paint stores pretty cheap.
                          Slap a coat of multicolored paint on that hummer.
                          Give the kids a brush and a different color paint. You grab a brush and a 3rd color paint. Be creative! Have fun!

From your inside pictures, add another 2×6 at the same level as the window ledge. It will give you a small ledge for a rifle rest, bionics, coffee cup, etc, etc.

As for brushing up your box blind, all that does is invite vermin to invade.

Comment

Going to be sitting in this for the first time in about 5 hours. Haven't slept a wink yet. We did a final sight in check with the Federal Premium Nosler Partitions this afternoon then set the Shack up with seat cushions and opened the windows so we won't make as much racket setting up in the morning. We tried out a rest on the window ledge and went over shot angles and placement. Gear is packed and clothes laid out. It's supposed to be about 50* at day break so it should be an easy sit, only problem is it will be 70* this afternoon so we'll be scrambling if she connects.

Yeah, I'm stoked and jittery. Probably a good thing we let the trail cams be.

Comment

I hope y'all get one this morning.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                                by Ernie
                                Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                              • Outdoor Life archives
                                by Scott123
                                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                                10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                              • Blade Stain
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                                10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                              • Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X