Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer & Deer Hunting Equipment Guide - 29 yrs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty 60's,70's (ish) in my hunting mindset....but NOW, I shoot AR's! LOL!
    I used to build "hides" like pighunter. These days, "popups" may not be economical, but they're easy! 😉!

Comment

image_2411.jpg PH I still use all implements to hunt deer on my place. I pretty much know where they are but I still have to do my best - it is not a given. I use the hand gun when snowing or raining, single shot is easy for me to carry and do my walk around. My 1895M Marlin when I am out for venison. Compound when I set up my blind on a known trail. Every day is a new adventure. Good luck this year.

The Billy Goat is working out good. Here is a picture of a campsite I brush cut. You can see how high it was by the height along the back. Need to get it to my camp and reclaim some area that has overgrown some.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-11-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Glad this one rekindled so I can throw my $.02 in.

The kid and I got a bunch of new hunting clothing for our trip last fall. Thing is I'm kinda getting back to being a little more minimalist with stuff but I've started to appreciate better quality for what it can offer. Because I'd booked the trip 2 years in advance I had plenty of time to look for deals and was able to pick up some really nice stuff I'd normally never consider due to price. I ended up selling a pile of old things that I'd used for years that was still in decent shape but didn't cut it anymore. Going out we may have looked like posers, but in reality we were really greenhorns and you gotta start somewhere. Most of the guides were either set up in Kuiu or Sitka for good reason. The boy and I had a mishmash of Kryptek, First Lite, Browning, Kuiu, Black Ovis, and Lord knows what else. It all worked well.

Bottom line, I'm at that tipping point a few of you were talking about. The way i figure it the more comfortable I am out there the more likely I'll keep after it. Typically I don't need the best of the best, but I'm done settling for junk.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          image_2411.jpg PH I still use all implements to hunt deer on my place. I pretty much know where they are but I still have to do my best - it is not a given. I use the hand gun when snowing or raining, single shot is easy for me to carry and do my walk around. My 1895M Marlin when I am out for venison. Compound when I set up my blind on a known trail. Every day is a new adventure. Good luck this year.

The Billy Goat is working out good. Here is a picture of a campsite I brush cut. You can see how high it was by the height along the back. Need to get it to my camp and reclaim some area that has overgrown some.
          That looks great! Was it difficult to operate?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

That looks great! Was it difficult to operate?
            Ordinarily it would not have been, but, a vehicle had put ruts in the site so when I crossed one of them it throws the handles around. 400lb machine can toss you around. So far my only comment about the Billy Goat is even with a slow RPM, the reverse is a quick speed. You have to be ready for it. I did all the site at about half throttle (B&S engine, B&S owns Billy Goat) in 1st gear and in about 3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman:
              Ive been buying this annual since 1990. Have kept them all. Those not familiar with this it is a all things deer hunting hot trends. Weapons(bow & gun) archery, clothes, scents,...etc.

I can't resist guns, so I probably have more than I need, just not as many as I want. I have settled down to carrying the .30/'06 and the .25/06 for main gun and back up. Which one I grab depends on the weather. The .25/06 is stainless, my rainy day choice.
              My bow is a 55# Bear Grizzly recurve that I have had for a lot more years than I care to remember. Other than arrows, I've never felt the need to upgrade the Grizzly. It has speared a many a fish, and taken a few deer.
              My black powder rifle is a TC Hawken, .54 caliber LH, and still shoots as good as I can hold it. Finding .54 components is getting to be a pain, seems as if every manufacturer has gone to either .45 or .50 caliber.
              I don't use any scents, other than one bottle of fox pee I will dribble on my boots to walk in to a stand, but I don't know if it helps, or just makes me feel better.
              I have, through the years, up graded binoculars from 10 X 30 to 10 X 42 to 12 X 42. The last upgrade was from thinking my 10 X 42s had gone away during Hurricane Harvey, but they later turned up, packed away in the most unlikely place.
              My hunting clothes are usually just whatever camouflage I have on hand, and I prefer to wear bibs, which run from light for fall to heavy insulated for cold weather. I'm of the opinion that we wear the camouflage more for other hunters than we do the deer, anyway.
              I carry a "possibles" box with extra rifle shells, head lamps, flashlights, knives, saws, a GPS and a rangefinder. Other items include folding shooting sticks, a rib spreader, small hand ax, extra batteries, whet rocks, and light to heavy gloves.
              I probably carry too much gear for my 3 to 4 day hunts, or even the week long trips, but, like the SEALS say; "Two is one, one is none."
              One thing I truly miss that did not survive Harvey, is my small 35mm camera. One of these days I will replace it, but i haven't found the right combination in a digital, of shirt pocket size, rough service, water proof and zoom that fits my needs and budget.

Comment

Im shooting a recurve, a FF rated Blackwidow HS model from '91, but the design goes back to early 70's.
                Do have a new Steyr Pro Hunter rifle and Leupold VX3i........but in boring old .30-06

Got a red plaid wool jacket, newer manufacture.
                Might run my '63 Rem 760 in .35 rem with that.

Grunt call...........bow or rifle. Do have new style rubber boots.
                Good enough.

Best new thing to take to the woods?
                A fresh attitude about having FUN.

Comment

I did think about buying a 2005 Hoyt compound but it went bye bye. LOL
                  Only things I might need......

another treestand (hang on- thinking Lone wolf or Family Traditions).
                  Some EZY steps.

Better clothes for crappy weather.

Comment

For archery I'll primarily use the PSE crossbow. However, I've put a new sight on my old PSE compound and plan to take it to Kentucky as a back-up.

For gun season opening day, I'll carry that single-shot .357 Maximum I've been talking about. 180gr Hornady XTP @ 2000fps.

Throughout the season I'll work in the .308 bolt-action and perhaps the 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't know yet about the .30-06 semi-auto.

The AR in .300BLK will most likely be left at home this season. It looks like I may need to hoard that ammo for those SHTF times.

Comment

I hunt in the mountain west, so camo and scent removers are not a issue for me. Clothing suitable for the time of year, and or quick changing conditions. I primarily spot and stalk with a little still hunting or a makeshift ground blind. Work the wind, watch your movement and don't get sky-lined...It is simple, but it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                        I hunt in the mountain west, so camo and scent removers are not a issue for me. Clothing suitable for the time of year, and or quick changing conditions. I primarily spot and stalk with a little still hunting or a makeshift ground blind. Work the wind, watch your movement and don't get sky-lined...It is simple, but it works for me.
                        I've never hunted in the mountain west but have traveled there for business. I'm always amazed by the lack of thick vegetation like we have here in the Southeast. Even the camo clothing patterns are different with the Western having an overall lighter appearance. Wearing those here would very quickly get a hunter spotted.

My current favorite is Mossy Oak Break-Up Country

Comment

If my .280 rem #1 doesnt sell i might pop a late season doe w it. Assuming I buck out in archery

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget