Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer & Deer Hunting Equipment Guide - 29 yrs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer & Deer Hunting Equipment Guide - 29 yrs.

Ive been buying this annual since 1990. Have kept them all. Those not familiar with this it is a all things deer hunting hot trends. Weapons(bow & gun) archery, clothes, scents, tactics,stands and all the gear & gimmicks that are the Hot rage at the time. It is absolutely fascinating to go back and see where we've been & where we are aiming. Myself, I've stopped about 1998. Where did you stop, if you have, trending and said " I'm good right here."? IMG_1532.JPG
    Last edited by dewman; 07-28-2019, 02:14 PM.

Great question. It seems every year I'm trying at least something new.

Around 1999 I started using a hand-held GPS. Before that it was compass, map, and flagging tape. Then about 7 years ago a wrist mounted GPS. This past season my cellphone with hunting apps became the primary navigation device.

I started with a bolt-action and that was my main during the 90's and early 2000's. About 10 years ago I mixed in a semi-auto and a single-shot on occasion. This past season I had an AR in my hands for most hunts. In archery I started with a recurve but now use a crossbow. In muzzleloaders I started with patched round ball but now use a sabot fired with electric ignition.

Most of my hunting has been on public land. Last season I experimented with joining a lease but was not happy with the results. This coming season I'll go back to public land but will mix in a few days paid at a hunting lodge.

I've also worked through various backpacks, climbing tree stands, ground blind methods, and clothing. Using canoes for getting to hunting property has also been a learning experience.

Maybe when I reach my 70's I'll finally say "I'm good right here."

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Great question. It seems every year I'm trying at least something new.

Around 1999 I started using a hand-held GPS. Before that it was compass, map, and flagging tape. Then about 7 years ago a wrist mounted GPS. This past season my cellphone with hunting apps became the primary navigation device.

I started with a bolt-action and that was my main during the 90's and early 2000's. About 10 years ago I mixed in a semi-auto and a single-shot on occasion. This past season I had an AR in my hands for most hunts. In archery I started with a recurve but now use a crossbow. In muzzleloaders I started with patched round ball but now use a sabot fired with electric ignition.

Most of my hunting has been on public land. Last season I experimented with joining a lease but was not happy with the results. This coming season I'll go back to public land but will mix in a few days paid at a hunting lodge.

I've also worked through various backpacks, climbing tree stands, ground blind methods, and clothing. Using canoes for getting to hunting property has also been a learning experience.

Maybe when I reach my 70's I'll finally say "I'm good right here."
      That's pretty interesting PH. Question for you. How about clothes, boots, camo,scents, blinds, maybe knives or other blades? Are you satisfied or are you still finding newer is better?

Comment

Dewman, my hunting days started pretty much with my Grandfather in my early years late ‘40’s until I entered the military in 1958. After my service time I deer hunted with gun and was much into pheasant hunting, there were still many birds in the area. I then got back into archery which I had been very much into prior to to entering the service, recurve then. I pretty much gave up gun hunting at that time, have stuck with bowhunting since, still hunt with recurve. I am not in favor of all the modernization of present hunting forms. This being especially in regards to the new ‘stuff’ in the special seasons. Special seasons were adopted by those who wished or cared for a challenge of the older times, but all the gimmicks and updates have removed the intended purpose. Archery is now a joke and those who think with present equipment that they are following the original thought of bowhunting, are only rationalizing ! Black powder is also a long way from it’s intended application. As far as gear goes, clothing, packs, knives and such, I see not too much difference in those respects. I still use knives that are over 50 years old, but have included a few new ones also ! Good question Dewman. Sorry that I vented maybe too much about current forms !!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          Dewman, my hunting days started pretty much with my Grandfather in my early years late ‘40’s until I entered the military in 1958. After my service time I deer hunted with gun and was much into pheasant hunting, there were still many birds in the area. I then got back into archery which I had been very much into prior to to entering the service, recurve then. I pretty much gave up gun hunting at that time, have stuck with bowhunting since, still hunt with recurve. I am not in favor of all the modernization of present hunting forms. This being especially in regards to the new ‘stuff’ in the special seasons. Special seasons were adopted by those who wished or cared for a challenge of the older times, but all the gimmicks and updates have removed the intended purpose. Archery is now a joke and those who think with present equipment that they are following the original thought of bowhunting, are only rationalizing ! Black powder is also a long way from it’s intended application. As far as gear goes, clothing, packs, knives and such, I see not too much difference in those respects. I still use knives that are over 50 years old, but have included a few new ones also ! Good question Dewman. Sorry that I vented maybe too much about current forms !!
          No problem with venting, we all do it. Ask me something with the word PETA in it and get ready for an earful. I think most of what is bothering you about modern hunting is a reflection of the overall time we live in. People have very limited time, very limited accesss, but high expectation of success. For people without private land, the idea of spending time in the woods(or on the water) with small chance of success turns them away. Having something to share on social media is too important to too many of them. They also look at gear as a way to give themselves instant "street creds" when their actual experience falls far short. Hence anything with the word "tactical" stamped on it. There, I vented a little myself

Comment

I find it rather strange Dewman, the wide gap that is between some of the hunters with age under them and those who are on the side of still being green ! Of course the newer sportsman is only seeing what is being done today, has no history or remembrance of the past to help dictate, or frame any personal aspects of equipment, methods, ideology or consideration of success ! I still prefer the days of my younger learning years and wonder what those who are just starting out will think when they are older and going through the same thoughts as to how things have changed for them ! I think it will depend on what memories, good or bad, that they have to fall back on which will determine their outlook favoring the old or the new of their activities !!
            Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 07-30-2019, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              That's pretty interesting PH. Question for you. How about clothes, boots, camo,scents, blinds, maybe knives or other blades? Are you satisfied or are you still finding newer is better?
              Dewman, please forgive the delayed response. I'm in Southern Georgia for a couple of days visiting a customer and have only nights for making longer posts. Let's go down the list of items:

> Clothes... Just about everything I wear is cotton. It's just more comfortable for the mild winter temps in Alabama. I'll add synthetic underwear layers and wool blend socks when it's colder. My favorite camo pattern is Mossy Oak Breakup because of it's darker colors since I try to stay in shadows when hunting..

> Boots... I've settled on Danner Boots and have several pair of various heights and insulation. I choose which to wear based on terrain and temperature.

> Scents... I've had some success with deer pee scents but not enough to hassle with it.

> Blinds... I really like the Ameristep Dog House because it's light and easy to deploy. Other times I build blinds with natural materials and hang a camo tarp over if it's raining. Just last week I bought a new tarp that's lighter and bigger to try this coming season.

> Knives... I've just about quit buying or making new knives. My current favorite finishing blade is only a year old. My field dressing tool is a Morakniv Companion. I'm considering selling some of my blade collection on Ebay.

I've not found that new techniques and/or equipment are always better. However, variety is the spice of life and it's interesting for me to stay out of the ruts. Life would indeed be boring doing the same thing from now on.

Comment

PH & BH75R: thanks for the responses fellas. One conclusion I've come to over the years that would get Mr. Dave P. in a tizzy is that for me, a knife is a knife is a knife and that you can get a good one for $30

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  PH & BH75R: thanks for the responses fellas. One conclusion I've come to over the years that would get Mr. Dave P. in a tizzy is that for me, a knife is a knife is a knife and that you can get a good one for $30
                  I totally agree with you there. The Morakniv Companion is less than $20 on Amazon. One stays in my hunting pack and that's been my primary field dressing knife for the past 4 seasons.

Back in '06, I bought a handmade knife at a local festival. I enjoyed talking with knife makers and this fella had done a great job with finishing the little fixed blade with gut-hook. His wife made a nice leather sheath for it. All for $100 which I considered to be a bargain. I've only used it twice. I 've never spent over $100 for a handmade knife and I've got at least a dozen. So, that's why I think it's ridiculous when Petzal pushes the expensive ones.

A few of years ago, I got on a kick of buying used butcher knives at the local flea market. Mainly these were the Old Hickory with 7-inch 1095 steel blades. Some I reshaped to 4 and 5 inches, others I just changed out handles. A K-Bar sheath works very well with these. Total investment was less than $30 and they can be sharpened to a wicked edge.
                  Last edited by PigHunter; 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
                    by 99explorer
                    A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
                    She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
                    The...
                    Today, 08:41 PM
                  • Plane crash.
                    by 99explorer
                    A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
                    Where do they bury the survivors?
                    Today, 03:16 PM
                  • Animals on the ark.
                    by 99explorer
                    How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
                    Today, 02:08 PM
                  • The college student puzzle..
                    by 99explorer
                    A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                    The first station is a mile from home,...
                    Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                  • Pieces of gold.
                    by 99explorer
                    Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                    08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X