Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind direction matter when hunting near houses or roads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind direction matter when hunting near houses or roads?

All, I have been pondering for some time about how strict I should really be with wind direction. I have a very strick scent control regime to minimize scent around stands and on the walk in. I have a road about 250 yards from my stands where people walk frequently. Also there is a house within 300 yards with kids playing in the yard every evening. The wind typically blows from the house area into my wooded parcel. What are you experiences with these senarios? Right now I try and only hunt the correct wind, which is from the west towards the east. There arent too many days where im off work, its a good time of the season plus the wind is blowing from an uncommon direction. When I have had deer downwind, they dont seem too concerned.

Norbetow, I would be of the feeling that the strength of scent is the most important issue. With the fact that there is human scent in the area at all times due to the close proximity of the road, houses and children playing within 300 yards, the deer have become used to scent from a certain distance (thus the strength of scent) and have adapted that to their issue of alarm. Scent that is stronger than what they are accustomed to would be a factor, jmo ! Deer adjust to their surroundings just as humans do !

Comment

Scent, like ground stands and noises, can be confusing sometimes because different deer react to things out of place to different degrees. Young deer seem better able to tolerate the non normal than more mature deer, either bucks or does. Don't let the young ones fool you, unless age doesn't matter and meat is meat, mature deer will start avoiding your setup fast if you ignore the basics of scent control. My 2 cents

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget