How's everyone's season going?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's everyone's season going?

Took a small doe with a crossbow during archery season. Our firearms season opened Monday, but I won't be getting out with a rifle til the last day of the regular season when I can get out to camp. Filled another antlerless tag yesterday afternoon, also with a crossbow after getting home a couple of hours early and having enough time to get changed and get into a stand. Still have a doe tag and my regular buck tag to fill between now and the end of January, but I'm happy to have meat in the freezer.

It went well. Posted a few pics and a few details on the F&S website.

Comment

It turned out to be a good start to the season after all the rains & hurricane,I'm glad to see the Club members are taking more hogs then deer right now we still have the rest of the Gun season till Jan,18th-2019.

Comment

I filled my Montana deer tag on the eighteenth. 5x5 muley buck. One shot through the heart about sixty yards. First morning hunting I pushed up twenty-three does and fawns hiking one long coulee. My brother filled his tag with a very large buck on sixteenth. Shot all the geese I wanted (about thirty) but pheasant hunting has been very poor. image_2247.jpgimage_2248.jpg5bff440df2d55.jpg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-05-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

So far I've killed nothing but time on the lease. Still exploring the 1200 acres to find the best spots. Not very many pigs there but there's plenty of deer. Fortunately, I'm working four-10's and have a supportive wife so will be able to hunt about 20 more days before the end of deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
            I filled my Montana deer tag on the eighteenth. 5x5 muley buck. One shot through the heart about sixty yards. First morning hunting I pushed up twenty-three does and fawns hiking one long coulee. My brother filled his tag with a very large buck on sixteenth. Shot all the geese I wanted (about thirty) but pheasant hunting has been very poor.
            Congrats Honker.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              So far I've killed nothing but time on the lease. Still exploring the 1200 acres to find the best spots. Not very many pigs there but there's plenty of deer. Fortunately, I'm working four-10's and have a supportive wife so will be able to hunt about 20 more days before the end of deer season.
              You're doing something right.

Comment

I filled my Montana deer tag on the eighteenth. 5x5 muley buck. One shot through the heart about sixty yards. First morning hunting I pushed up twenty-three does and fawns hiking one long coulee. My brother filled his tag with a very large buck on sixteenth. Shot all the geese I wanted (about thirty) but pheasant hunting has been very poor.
                You're making me look forward to more free time in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Lol! I guess so. Pighuntress says I'm the best husband she's had. (I'm husband #4, she's wife #2). I treat her like a precious jewel and she treats me as the Master. I'd like to think we're Jeannie and Major Nelson but in all reality we're probably more like Lucy and Ricky

Comment

Did you write your name and address on your stock in case you forget ?

Comment

I lost my fancy Pachmayer slip-on recoil pad in a Russian olive thicket. I had an el-cheapo extra one but it fits sloppy so I taped it up with duct tape. Just happened to be pink flo colored.

Comment

Not good at my place. Neighbors on both sides have pics of huge bucks but they are holding up during daylight. We had rain and then a few inches of snow but the snow did not help. Does and fawns and some spikes and 4pt, that's about it. Everyone thinks the area was hit hard with blue tongue last year - in fact the State has cut back on numbers that can be taken. A few days left so I may take another shot at it.
                        A trail cam late summer has a pic. of a black bear. They come in from PA and WVA. No season for black bear in Ohio.
                        We have another gun season Dec. 15&16. Archery open to Feb 2.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I took a "boe" in Primitive Arms season and a "duck" in the "Regular Gun" season.
                          I've got all the meat I need.
                          Any more "shooting" will be done with a camera! LOL!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            I took a "boe" in Primitive Arms season and a "duck" in the "Regular Gun" season.
                            I've got all the meat I need.
                            Any more "shooting" will be done with a camera! LOL!
                            That's a primitive arm? Oh, come on!

Comment

Not much happening, so far. Coming into the final week now. Haven't seen very many deer. Even with lots of time off, I've only been getting out for a couple hours here, couple hours there. Weather's been kind of weird, single-digit temps and then forty-fifty degree days, rainstorms, snowstorms, just a couple days when it wasn't doing something.

Mainly, though, we're still in the process of learning the new patterns of our deer. After twenty-five years, things in our valley have undergone some fairly big changes these past couple of years. A farm going inactive, a couple of new houses being built, a neighboring landowner putting up a cabin (and having a bunch more hunters on his land). Our acreage is kind of sandwiched right in the middle of all that, and we've definitely noticed some changes to the old well-established runways and feeding and bedding areas. It's kind of interesting, actually, but I'm missing the regularity I used to have on certain stands.

Any rate, I've got four full days to hunt, Thursday through Saturday, and two doe tags as well as my buck tag left. I'll have some venison, I think.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget